Followers

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Darlings, Why Talk About Reviving "CATS," When Elaine Paige Owns "Memory????????????"



                               Seeing "CATS" again is not a memory I want to relive, girls!  The first time was excruciating enough!  I thought the Pirate Ship sequence would never end, and when the Big Moment came, and Betty Buckley did "Memory," it was shrill and screechy, TONY Award or not!  And, because it was then the hottest ticket in town, and I was young, I stood, but had to lay in an aisle, looking upward, in order to see Grizabella ascend to the Heaviside Layer!!!!!!!!!!!  Yes, darlings, I alone did this!  I was a Theater Queen, and I wanted what I came for.  I had bought a standing room ticket--remember, I was young--but this was the only way I could see this segment!  And so, I did!

                               Now, comes word that "CATS," which at one time, was "Now and Forever, but mercifully closed, may be returning!!!!!!!!!  Oh, God, do we really have to endure it again????????????

                                Personally, I would rather see Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical adaptation of "Whistle Down The Wind."  Granted, no Hayley this time, but I think the story has  more potential than sitting through "CATS" again.  To paraphrase a line used in "Forbidden Broadway one time, "What a bunch of pussies!!!!!!!!!!"

                                Anyway, the other day, I was thinking about all this, when I happened to pull up Elaine Paige's rendition of "Memory."  I am telling you, it was like hearing the song for the first time!  It truly came through in a way I have heard no other singer do it!

                                   Of course, I am going to share it with you!  Once viewed, you will not want to see "CATS" revived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    Besides, I do not want to see Jessie Mueller in a cat costume!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: