Followers

Thursday, June 2, 2016

It's Always Nice To Visit Idgie And Ruth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                 By my count, this is about my third reading of the novel, and I have seen the film at least half a dozen times, though not recently.  But while on a Mary Louise Parker binge, which included this, as Ruth Jamison is one of her most noted roles--I decided to re-read the Fannie Flagg book.

                                   What is interesting, this time around, is that the book answers all questions the movie doesn't.  Like, what made Frank Bennett into the bastard that he was?  Or, what kind of cancer did Ruth have, and how exactly did she die?  Or how Ninny could not be Idgie, as the movie implies.

                                       The one thing I would like to know is--when and why did Idgie and Julian leave Whistle Stop, and what took them to Marianna, Florida, where they ran a mini fruit and food stand?  It seems fitting for Idgie, but I would love to know how she got there.

                                         None of Flagg's books hold up to this one, for humor, heartbreak and hope.
Both Idgie and Ruth are inspirations; I have said repeatedly, I always wanted to be a great lady, like Miss Ruth, but I guess I just have too much Idgie in me.

                                            And then there are Sipsey's recipes at the end.

                                            If you have never seen the movie, read the book before.

                                             If you love the movie, enjoy the book!

                                             Both are cherished experiences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                               I just love Idgie and Ruth!  Thanks to Flagg for creating them and Mary Stuart Masterson and Mary-Louise Parker for embodying them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: