Followers

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Happy Bloomsday, Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                               No, girls, I have not cracked Joyce's "Ulysses" yet, but that does not mean I don't know what Bloomsday is. Joyce's novel takes place on June 16, 1904, and its lead character is Leopold Bloom. Hence, the day's name.  It is also, according to legend, the day Joyce met the woman who would become his wife, Nora.

                                 It also happens to be my niece's birthday.  To reveal her age would be the same as revealing mine, which is enough to make me blush.  I mean, it was quite awhile ago.  I do recall that the day on which it happened was not only Bloomsday, but Father's Day.

                                  So, Happy Birthday to my niece, and a Happy Bloomsday, to all.

                                   Here are the penultimate last fifty lines from Molly Bloom's soliloquy.  To remind all what this day is about!

                                     Cheers, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: