Followers

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

A Tutorial In How To Sing "Frank Mills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                   This song is near and dear to my heart.  As many times as I myself have sung it, I have heard far more terrible versions of it than I would like to recall.  Let's face it, in the span of 41 years--an entire generation--only two got it right--Shelley Plimpton, pictured above, in the Original Broadway production, and Allison Case, in the 2009 Broadway revival.

                                      So, how does one go about performing "Frank Mills" correctly?  Though the song sounds easy, it is harder than one may think.

                                        Before even voicing it, the person singing it has to have a vulnerable look of innocence.  Note, Shelley, above.  So many Crissy's I  have seen on stage, and on YouTube, either look too old or sophisticated to sing this song, or like sluts!  Crissy is NOT a slut!  She is the youngest and most vulnerable member of The Tribe, and should be cast accordingly.

                                         The second thing is "Frank Mills" is not a belter's song, and too many girls belt it out, especially when they get to "gold chains on his leather jacket!"  No NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It has to be sung softly, all the way through, and this is what makes it so difficult, in a voice sounding like a child.  If you sound like a twenty plus woman you should not be cast in the role, singing this song.  You have to project innocence, pathos, and do not vary the vocal quality once started; it has to be soft.

                                             Now, line by line--

                                             "I met a boy called Frank Mills-The "I" should have just the slightest lilt to it; it should not be sung flat.  On the title name, there should be a slight emphasis and pause.

                                             "On September 12th, right here, in front of the Waverly"--Sing the first three words straightforwardly, then let the childish quality of the voice shine its light, especially upon hitting the word "Waverly."

                                              "But, unfortunately, I lost his address."--Keep the childishness, and between "unfortunately" and "I" a slight pause should be in place.  One can either sing the last phrase with emphasis on each word or slide the "I lost," pause, and then end with "his address."

                                              "He was last seen with his friend, a drummer'--Again, straightforward, a childlike sound, pausing between "friend" and drummer."

                                              "He resembles George Harrison of the Beatles, but he wears his hair,
 tied in small bow, at the back."--Again keep the childish vocals.  On "ison" and "Beatles" go up a little.  Pause after the word "hair," sung very delicately, and distinctly, with the "k' sound, sing the word "back."

                                             "I love him, but it embarrasses me, to walk down the street with him."
Still childish, pause after "him,"  "me," and on the last "him," hold it slightly.

                                             "He lives in Brooklyn somewhere, and wears this white crash helmet."--
There should be a slight pause between "Brooklyn" and "somewhere", with both words having a wistful, yearning sound.

                                            " He has gold chains, on his leather jacket, and on the back are written the names--Mary, and Mom, and Hell's Angels."--This is the phrase where the most mistakes are made.  Too many over aged girls want to show what voices they think they have by belting out this entire phrase.  Remember, you are not a diva, but a little girl, standing in front of a movie theater, yearning for an unrequited love.  This must be maintained throughout.  If you think that is too monotonous, trust me, with the melody it will not sound that way.  Besides, children sometimes are monotonous.
At the start of the phrase, go up in tone, pause between "chains" and "on", plus "jacket," and "and."
"Mary, and "Mom" are given equal emphasis, but "and Hell's angels" should be slightly drawn out and the last word held, for the ultimate in adorability.

                                           "I would gratefully appreciate it, if you see him tell him--"  You can slightly drop on the "I," but don't lose the childishness. "Gratefully appreciate" should slowly emphasize each syllable.  Another pause between "him" and tell him." On the last "him," give it a slight lilt and hold.

                                          "I'm in the park with my girlfriend, and please--"  A slit lilt to the I in "I'm", a pause between "park" and "with" and  a long hold on the last "please," as it segues into the next line.

                                          "Tell him, Angela and I, don't want the two dollars back.  Just him."--
 The ending is crucial.  It is best to pause between "him" and "Angela", and really stress the childishness on the "two dollars back."  That last word should be held for several seconds, as should "Just," a slight pause, and then an elongated, drawn out "him." No pyrotechnics, just nice and quiet.

                                            That is how to perform "Frank Mills."  So future Crissys, and casting "HAIR" directors, take heed.  This is what I expect and want to see.  This is how I learned it, and did it for 40 years, on said date, in front of the Waverly.  The best year was when a wino, drinking in the street, looked at what I was doing, looked at his bottle, and ran off."  He is probably now a Wall Streeter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                              I wish someone could film me on YouTube, so readers could see what I mean.

                                               Here is Allison Case, in the 2009 revival.  The only mistake she makes is to begin by sitting down.  Crissy should always stand center, in front of the Waverly, and sing her solo piece.  But her vocals, the best since Shelley Plimpton, make up for it.  Note the tempo.  I could put Shelley up for you from Off-Broadway, but the tempo is too fast.  Listen to her on the Original Broadway Cast recording, and you will hear what I mean.

                                                 Hope you enjoyed the tutorial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                  Wait till you hear ME, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

We were all so sweet and innocent once...

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
Indeed we were. I long to
go back to that time...sometimes!

Modera said...

I do think nothing can match Shelley Plimpton's version. I never saw the play "Hair", just that awful movie, but my parents got the original cast album the day the men landed on the moon. I was 9 years old. I felt she had innocence mixed with a sort of subtly humorous blase-ness.

The Raving Queen said...


Modera,
What a great remembrance--getting
the HAIR album the day of the moon
landing.

I never saw the Original Production
on stage, but after hearing Shelley on
the album, NO ONE matches her on that song.
As I said Allison Case comes closest, but'
look how long it took for her to come along.

When I am in a "Frank Mills" mood, I always
turn to Shelley.

And I use the song for my vocal warm up!