Followers

Thursday, November 14, 2019

Yesterday Was Sammy Williams' Birthday, As Musical Theater Week Continues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                 Along with the Holiday Season, Musical Theater Week is my favorite time of the year, a time including my birthday, and a week when I share this event with many of my favorite Musical Theater legends.  Maybe the stars were trying to tell me something.  I still work on my voice.

                                   Sammy Williams, of course, won a TONY Award for his performance in the Original Cast of "A Chorus Line," which I saw, with my father,  on October 25, 1975.  Earlier that week, on October 20, I had had my first (gay, of course!) sexual experience at college, and feared my father somehow knew.  I shuddered as I watched Sammy, but also admired him for being so brave to put this out there on the stage, and to cause me to wonder about my actual sexuality, and my future life!  It is easy for me to say that "A Chorus Line" was the show that changed my life.  And continues to enrich it.


                                      I may not get out there, and dance it, but I can still support it.  And sing the songs.

                                      Sadly, Sammy left us one year ago, on March 17, 2018, St. Patrick's Day!  He was 69, then, and would be 71 today!

                                         Still, his birthday will never be forgotten on here!

                                          Rest In Peace, Sammy!  You made more of an impression on gay young men than you could possibly realize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Victoria said...

That wrenching monologue.
“Take care of my son”

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
No one did that monologue
better than Sammy. It was like
he was living it, and it felt like
I was living it with him!

It is on YouTube if you want to
see it again.

Victoria said...

Thanks, I do!!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,
It still is emotionally
wrenching.