Followers

Sunday, May 24, 2020

54 Years Ago Tonight, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                 Happy Anniversary to "MAME," the favorite musical of my childhood.  And why not?  It was about a little boy around my age, who had a wealthy aunt living in New York City, which even then I wanted to go to, only he gets to do it, and has the most fantastic adventures, let alone sing one of the best show scores ever!

                                    I actually saw Angela Lansbury in a revival of the show, back in 1983.  Jane Connell was on hand, as Gooch, but the rest were not up to the originals.  But the orchestra on the Overture, oh, my God...……….!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     The cast album is blaring right now, as I write this,   If ever I  could go back on time, this is one of the things I would go back to.

                                        Theater Queens of all ages should know "MAME."  The Original, not Lucille Ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Don't even think about that one!



So, Happy Birthday to "MAM E!"  You don't see shows, or marquees like this, anymore!

I was not able to find the Overture, but here are Jane Connell and Frankie Michaels (still the theater's youngest TONY Award Winner!!!) in the opening number, St. Bridget!  Is there a more perfect opening?  Imagine being in that first night audience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And to think, Angela Lansbury is the only one of them still living!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: