Followers

Monday, December 13, 2010

Girls, I Have Had Another Spiritual Experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Girls, who would have thought this could happen the same weekend I visited the Metropolitan of Art Christmas Tree??? Well, it has. On Saturday morning, Monsieur Davide played for me the most enchanting Christmas CD with the most delicious sounding harmonies I have heard since I could not tell you when. It turns out the name of this gem was "We Three King.." and it was by,,,,,are you ready???? The Roches!!!!!!!!

Darlings, I nearly died!!!!!!! I thought they had gone out of the biz years ago!!!!!!!! Now, this recording was made sometime between 90 and 94. I first discovered them in 1988 via the film "Crossing Delancey," in which one of them, Suzzy, played one of Amy Irving's girl friends!!!!!!!!

The Roches were a group of three sisters--Maggie, Suzzy and Terre, from Park Ridge, New Jersey, who parlayed their exquisite harmonizing into a musical career that while not Joan Baez, has kept them going since 1973!!!!! And they are the REAL thing, let me tell you, darlings!!!!!!!!!! So is their brother, David, who does backup on some of their stuff, and he is performing this Friday-- December 17, 2010--at The Good Coffee House Music Parlor in Brooklyn, and it would not surprise me a bit if the sisters were going to be there!!!! If only I did not have my office Christmas Party to go to that night!!!!!!!!!!!! But I have heard some of David's tracks, and he is fabulous!!!!!! Cute, too!!!!!!! But what would you expect????????

I am telling you, loves, when I heard the girls three part harmonization of the four part Handel "Hallelujah Chorus," I felt like I was watching "The Song of Bernadette!" And when I heard the sisters on "Hammond", well you just HAVE to hear it!!!!!!!!!!!

But The Raving Queen is also inspired, girls!!!!!!! Darlings, you should hear how the Roches sound on a capella!!!!!!!!!!! Honey, I have been doing a capella since I have been born, so I say it is time to parlay this into something, and I am telling you, girls, in 2011, I am going to visit some open mike spots and work up an act, with the creme de la creme of my best. Here are some samples:

1."Long Black Veil"
2."Every Now And Then" (from "Runaways" by Elizabeth Swados)
3."Sometimes" (ditto)
5."500 Miles"
6."Fennario"
7."Frank Mills"

Sweeties, you know I cannot do an act without singing the song I have been doing in front of the Waverly since 1978--hell, I have been out there in my own way almost as long as the Roches!!!!!!!!!! So, try and catch David on Friday, darlings, and as soon as I am on the open mike or a gig anywhere, I will be sure to let you know!!!!!!!!!!

And listen to the sweet sounds of the Roches, loves!!!!! You can even catch them on YouTube!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go down to Hammond, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: