Followers

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Girls, You Can Get Into Lots Of Trouble, When You Start Judging Books By Their Covers!!!!!!!!!!!





Darlings, maybe it was that New York Times essay the other day on boys and reading, that got me onto this topic! This essay really set my teeth on edge, because, let me tell you, girls, I have a lot of personal experience where this was concerned.

The essay, written by Robert Lipsyte, a noted children's author, makes a number of important points. It says that many boys shy away from reading, because much of what is out there does not relate to their specific needs or concerns. He says that boys tend to gravitate to non-fiction, rather than fiction, which I take argument with. He also touches upon a point that leads to a bigger issue that is not addressed. According to Lipsyte, "teachers don't always know what's out there for boys."

But he fails to take into account the reason behind this. Being that the majority of teachers in the elementary years, especially the lower grades, are female, there is female-centric approach and attitude in education. I certainly don't mean to sound sexist--and if I do, darlings, I apologize--but not only don't the teachers know what is out there for boys, they don't really make an effort. Because, in the lower grades, and I can attest to this personally, elementary education teachers are too locked in to traditional roles and stereotypes. Hence, right away, girls are perceived to be less trouble than boys, so they get more attention. If a girl in my day volunteered to do an extra credit assignment, she was highly praised. If a boy did, they were regarded skeptically.

Who knows? Maybe boys should be taught be men? Controversial as this sounds, I wonder. And when I look at my own personal experiences, I wonder even more.

The first time I read "To Kill A Mockingbird," I empathized instantly with Scout's bad first day experience at school, due to, among other things, she knew how to read before she started school. Such was the case with me. There were always plenty of books in our house; and I would observe my parents, grandmother and sister reading a lot of times. But, still too young and inexperienced, I would have these folk, whenever possible, read aloud to me. My maternal grandmother, who lived with us, got the lion's share of this duty. And often I would have several favorites--I recall "Alice In Wonderland" being one--that I would have her read over and over. Somewhere in those readings, as I looked at the pages, first centering on the pictures, I think I began to associate words, and started to make them out. After awhile I was fully capable of reading 'Alice' on my own.

Then came first grade, with Mrs. Cohen, she of the "cursive writing' incident. From day one, she would put words on the board, and I knew words the other kids could not even fathom. And I could not understand why I could, and they could not. As for Mrs. Cohen, she did not like this, at all; oh, no, not one bit!!!!!!
We were led into literature on a Dick and Jane (or in my case Alice and Jerry) level--- "See Spot run. See Jane go after Spot." When, I asked myself, are we going to read REAL books, which, as far as I was concerned, were established children's classics, or at least the Dr. Seuss books, which were popular in my day. I was the one who always wanted to move ahead. But Mrs. Cohen would never have it.

It was even worse in second grade, with Mrs. Beinhower. The way she looked and dressed, she would have made a great Tea Party-er today. She and I started off badly from day one, and the year was a battle of wills. Each morning, before dismissing us for lunch time, we would be given a free half hour of reading time. We were supposed to read whatever we chose. Well, for a gift, I had received the children's anthology, "Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery." I bought the book with me, in anticipation of this time, and once it came, took it out, and began reading. Before I knew it, Mrs. Beinhower was standing over my desk, staring at me as I read. I knew that she was staring, and she knew I knew, but damned if I was going to pay any attention to her. The next thing I knew, she walked away, and returned, blocking my line of vision with a book she selected. "Wouldn't you rather be reading this?" she asked with authority. Of course, I should have said, "No, I don't, you old witch!" But, honey, this was pre-puberty, and I was raised to be SO good. I took the book, put the other away, and stewed with resentment. The book she gave me was "Robert, The Rose Horse," which was not a bad choice, by the way--except I had already read it in first grade. I was ready to move on, but Mary Beinhower was damned if I was going to. Throw a bucket of water on her, and melt!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the last straw was that Norma Brodsky in fourth grade. One year ahead of my sister, she was young, at the time. Nowadays, she is not Mrs. Brodsky, and has not been for a long time. I am not a bit surprised. Anyway, having gone through the entire shelf of "Childhood of Famous Americans" series, I was drawn to the one on Kate Douglas Wiggins (who wrote "Rebecca Of Sunnybrook Farm"), particularly the part about how she and her mother each night would read Dickens before bed. The work referenced the most was "David Copperfield," so by the time I finished this book, I was keen on reading that. Well, that Norma Brodsky had such a fit; she and I fought over my right to read that book in the school library; saying I should not read that, because it is too advanced for me--honey, you were not advanced enough for ME!!!! Not only did I read it, ( and love it, as I went on to read it many times throughout my life) my father came home one evening and told me the following week Geraldine Fitzgerald would be reading it aloud each afternoon, chapter by chapter, on Channel 13, around 4:30 or 5:00. So I basically followed the book along with her, which was enormously helpful in understanding it, and ignited my lifelong love of Dickens!!!!!
Hey, Norma; up yours!!!!!!!!!

I could go on, but the point here, darlings, is that teachers are often so clueless. Never judge a student by preconceived notions, just like one should not judge a book by its cover. It is rare I make this latter mistake, but back in 1970, before I even read a word of it, I was enthralled by the hardback cover of R.F. Delderfield's novel, "God Is An Englishman." It looked so appealing, I figured the book must be, too. When it finally came out in mass market paperback (which was the only way then I could buy it!) it had an entirely different cover, and maybe that clouded my judgement, because the book did nothing for me. Perhaps, being even better read than at 15, I should give it another chance, but that first experience lingers.

Then there was the book I never read, which I never could find, till possibly now. In sixth grade, our reading book was called "Cavalcades." It was a bunch of the same processed junk, but at the end was this beautiful color plate page (replicating the hardback cover) with the title "The Rain Forest--A Condensation Of The Book By Armstrong Sperry." That illustration fueled my desire to read this book, and try as best as my parents did, we were unable to find it. Sperry is best known for "Call It Courage," which I have never read, but I have never found "The Rain Forest" in any children's library I have been in, including the great ones here in New York. Go figure. But now, thanks to Amazon and the Internet, who knows??? I may read it yet!!!! Will it live up to the expectations engendered by the cover???? You can be sure as soon as if I am successful in this endeavor, all my girls will be the first to know!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of the best books have the worst covers, and vice versa!!!!!!!!!! The only way to judge, darlings, whether you are MALE or FEMALE is to READ!!!!!!!

But a closing shot about Nancy Drew. Thanks to her, I had an inkling that I might be gay. Because I just loved Nancy's glamorous wardrobe, her friends Bess and George (uhm-hmm!!!!) and how they were always dashing about in the Roadster, wearing white gloves, and having what was called luncheon!!!!! Just what I could not wait for in adulthood, loves!!!!! But every time her father, handsome lawyer Carson Drew, would be mentioned, I got this warm feeling, even before hormones!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, girls!!!!!!!! Caaaaaaarson!!!!!!!! Drewwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

Let's get out the Mystery Date set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: