Followers

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Darlings, From The Moment The Movie Came Out, I SO Knew I Wanted To Be Angela Cartwright!!!!!!!!!!



"I'm glad to go, I cannot tell a lie."
--Angela Cartwright as Brigitta Von Trapp in "The Sound Of Music"


For girls of a certain age--like me, darlings--"The Sound of Music," next to "The Wizard Of Oz," was the seminal film of our childhoods. I mean, EVERYONE saw it!!!!!!
For me, it went even deeper-- living in a seemingly enchanted place full of eye catching scenery, having lots of siblings, and, best of all, being allowed to sing and perform and have that promoted, this film encapsulated for me, everything I felt my childhood should have had at the time.

The reason I bring this up is the news that Gary Griffin, of "The Colored Purple" musical, is going to direct a concert version of "The Sound Of Music," to be presented at Carnegie Hall on April 24, 2012. Which, incidentally, loves, just HAPPENS to be BARBRA's 70th birthday!!!!!!!!!! Either Mr. Griffin is straight or doesn't care about BARBRA, or else he is ignorant of this fact. I am sure other things are being planned for that day, and this is hardly a show one would associate with BARBRA. I cannot be certain if she ever recorded anything from it, even something as secular as "My Favorite Things."

But getting back to the movie--being a child when I saw it, of course I most related to the Children, and the scenes with them. And I knew that the one I most wanted to be was Angela Cartwright, who, with "Make Room For Daddy" to her credit by then, was the best known of all the assembled children, and who played the distinctly noticeable role of Brigitta. And it was no coincidence that she was the best known AND cast as this specific child.

Even as she was conceived originally for the stage, Brigitta Von Trapp stood out. Not only was she the most perceptive and observant of all the siblings, she alone had her own star entrance!!!!!! Just as she does in the movie. Brigitta does not march down the stairs, at the start, with the others. Instead, several minutes after all have assembled, standing in formation, she enters slowly from stage left, engrossed in reading a book.. Does this sound familiar, darlings????????

Not only did I know Brigitta was the role for me, what child would not want to look like Angela Cartwright??????? I mean, honey, come on!!!!!!! So I knew early on that Brigitta was the role for me.

Which is my way of saying to Mr. Griffin that I want the role of Brigitta in his concert production. I have known this score since I was ten years old. I can sing every note and I know all Brigitta's responses. So, while Mr. Bartlett Sher is still mulling over his casting of Lauren Ambrose (as opposed to, say, Leslie Krtizer or yours truly) as Fanny Brice, I am making myself available to Mr. Griffin for Brigitta. I know all my girls would turn out for THIS one!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I forgot--as you may recall, "The Sound Of Music" soundtrack was a big seller. Of course, I had it, which is how I knew the songs by heart by the time I saw the picture. Early editions of the album came with a souvenir booklet/programme. On the front cover was the now iconic poster; on the back, a photo of the children and Julie standing between the statues in front of the Villa, with some of them extending their arms outward, ballet like. You better believe that the day after I saw the film for the first time, I was marching up and down the front of my house, doing this, and trying to jump forwards and backwards on my steps, like at the close of "Do Re Mi." It makes my heard swirl now, to think of doing that. If I attempted that now, I would probably miss, and need a hip replacement!!!!!!!! See what age can do, girls!!!!!!!!!!

But I am not too old to sing Brigitta. I will even wear the appropriate Angela Cartwright wig, yellow dress and barrette from the party scene, as my costume!!!!!!! I am telling you, it would be the theatrical event of the upcoming season!!!!!!!!!!

The sun has gone to bed, and so must I, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: