Followers

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Now, For SOME Real Youth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



When it comes to youth, darlings, you cannot do better than the Little Rascals. I was just thinking yesterday of one of my faves, not viewed in ages, called "Mike Fright," from 1934. This is the one with Spanky and Company going on an amateur radio program, calling themselves the "International Silver String Submarine Band," whose performance of "The Daring Young Man On The Flying Trapeeze" is classic, especially when the sound booth's toupee (or is it hat) blows off!!!!!!

This also features a trumpet solo, destroyed by the boys sucking on lemons, a boy in a sailor suit tapping on a miniature dance floor, and two little girls in hula outfits doing "I Wanna Go Back To My Little Grass Shack."

But the highlight, which so many of us grew up on, is the early appearance of the Darling Sisters, who perform that classic, "Jimmy Had A Nickel". ("Jimmy had a Ni-CKLE!!!!!!" I can hear one of them singing, and even though long past puberty I can still do this bit!!!!!!) Nothing surpasses this moment, and, darlings, I am so sorry, I wanted to supply you with a picture of the Darlings doing this priceless moment, but none were to be found.

So let's just sit back and remember one of the Rascals' more cherished episodes. Like "I Love Lucy," no matter how many times watched, the freshness never goes away!!!!!!!!!!

Start your own Submarine Band, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: