Followers

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Despite The Illness, Despite The Stress, There Was One Bit Of Loveliness Out Of The Past Several Days!!!!!!!!






The highlight of last weekend's visit to PA, in addition to visiting my father, who is healthier than some, was the opportunity to see the film "Hugo." It had been on my film radar since opening day, but with MY schedule, loves, who has a chance???? And when I saw those beautiful clips on the Academy Awards, I was bedazzled.

So, I was thrilled, when my sister, thanks to a High Definition TV screen, and Pay-Per View, secured, for Monsieur and moi, a screening of "Hugo" Saturday night!!! Darlings, this is what should have won Best Picture!!!!!

"Hugo" is based on Brian Selznick's 2008 novel, "The Invention Of Hugo Cabret," a book that instantly caught my attention in bookstores, with its stunning visuals. It was on my Reading Radar, darlings, but with all I have piled up to read, it got lost in the shuffle. So, when this movie, "Hugo", opened last year, directed by, of all people, Martin Scorsese, it took me some time to connect it with the book that had attracted me. And when I heard it had something to do, with French filmmaker, George Melies, I was, like what???? How???? Is this actually for children?????

Darlings, it really isn't!!!! More like for older children--late childhood, early teens, and adults who read "Harry Potter." And, as I watched it unfold, I came to realize how Marty (Scorsese) was the only one who could have done it. For it is a tribute to the Lumiere Brothers (said to have invented cinema), Melies and his work, and the kind of craft that went into the making of these extraordinary films. It is safe to say, if not for "A Trip To The Moon," there would have been no "Wizard Of Oz" at MGM in 1939!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every single shot of "Hugo" is exquisitely rendered; the images alone are intoxicating. And Scorsese uses the actors in interesting ways--Ben Kingsley's sense of menace,(there is nothing fictitious abut Melies' basic situation herein, as I first thought) Sasha Baron Cohen's disability (or, rather, his character's) and those eyes of Asa Butterfield's, which are this young man's greatest acting aid here. They will haunt you for days!!!!!!!!!!

Along with Melies, "Hugo's" visuals also recalled to me Chaplin's "Modern Times." It is a true film homage, and honey, forget "The Artist!" What I have seen from that highly praised film does not begin to approach the brilliance of "Hugo." To me, what I have seen of "The Artist" recalls the days of Woody Allen's "Zelig," and, most especially, "The Purple Rose Of Cairo."

"Hugo" is the true gem here. Having bought Selznick's book, I look forward to reading it, and whatever else may follow. Not only is this young author blood kin to THE David O. Selznick, you knew where he grew up, darlings????? East Brunswick, New Jersey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just can't stop us talented Jerseyans, girls!!!! Snooki and 'Couture' be damned, we are gaining on the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe the Garden State should be changed to the Artistic State!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: