Followers

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Darlings, These Guys Are SO Annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!




TV ads are meant to be both informative and entertaining. I just love the Geico lizard, and especially Maxwell, the cute little pig who goes "Wheeeeeeeeeeee!" and reminds me of my own, beloved Monsieur. Then there is Dean Winters (who I used to be hot for, when he played Brian Cassidy on 'SVU') as Mr. Mayhem in the All State commercials.

But two particularly annoying guys getting what I consider overexposure right now, make my skin crawl every time they appear on the tube. I don't know the actors who play them, but they are not endearing themselves to me, though I am sure they are making a name and fortune for themselves, so I cannot be unhappy for them. But they are unbearable to watch!!!!!!!!!

The first is the Nationwide Guy. With that buttoned down look and unctuous manner, he suggests a 21st Century version of Uriah Heep. I swear, I haven't seen anyone with hair in such perfect place since the days of Ann Miller, but whereas she looked sexy, this guy looks like a mass of repressed sexuality. Which makes sense, because White Bread and white washed is exactly what American advertisers like.

Even worse than him is the guy known as Ronald, the Karaoke Dating guy, on the Geico Commercial. He takes center stage in a karaoke bar club, and uses the Bonnie Tyler classic "Total Eclipse Of The Heart", set to his own inane lyrics, as a dating ploy. What saves this commercial from being completely awful, is the shot of the two disgusted women watching him; the look of disgust on the Black woman is especially palpable. And when he does that falsetto on "getting a weeeeeeeeeave!" it makes my skin crawl.

I have no idea who the actors are impersonating these guys, though I am happy for them, as their exposure is laughing them all the way to the bank. Do we just have to see them so much??????????

What happened to the great commercial days--Jan Miner as Madge, Jane Withers as Josephine The Plumber, Ann Miller and the Great American Soups--these were actors at the top of the their game, whose creators knew how to use them to elevate their mundane products to the status of art forms. Can we count among us such talent today?????

Not from what I have just described. It is enough to make one turn off the tube.

But at least they stopped airing that Credit Score ad about the daughter in her sophomore year in college!!!!!!!!!

No comments: