Followers

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

This Was One Of My Favorites, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                 I used to own this book during my early childhood, which coincided with the "Lassie" craze on CBS-TV, when, on Sunday nights, at about 7PM, everything would stop, the sad, whistling refrain would begin, and we would hear Jon Provost as Timmy calling for Lassie.  With his parents June Lockhart, and Hugh Riley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 My thoughts turned to this book in remembrance, because it has a very simple message about taking the people (or creatures) around us for granted.  The book begins with Lassie dozing at daybreak, in front of a country mail box.  Two men drive by, on their way to work, and muse upon the wonders of a dog's life--nothing to do, but lie in the sun all day!!!!!!! They go on, but we stay, and what we see, which they don't, is what Lassie's day consists of--rescuing a child from being drowned in a lake, saving a burning building, etc.  At the end of the day, tuckered out from all her efforts, Lassie earns a well deserved rest. The men seen earlier drive by, on their way home, see Lassie there--and think she has been there all day, doing nothing. But we know different. If this were a film, at this point, I am sure, Lassie would have winked to us, at the camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                 Sometimes I feel others--especially some at work--regard me as Lassie, when they have no idea what is going on, outside of what is going on around them.  Other times, I am sure, I could be guilty of thinking the same thing of others.  It all boils down to recognition and appreciation, and that is what this book is a plea for.  I am sure it turns up on Amazon or E-bay, but it too bad that this--one of the truly memorable books of my childhood--is not reissued, to remind us of how underrated it is.

                                   Now, you will excuse me, girls!!!!!!!!!!!  Like Lassie, I have a few things to do!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: