Followers

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Oh, My God!!!!!!!!! Sweeties, You Have To Be Kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                             When "Funny Girl" arrived on Broadway, in 1964, no one questioned the idea of making a musical about Fanny Brice--even if the musical was really about its star performer, Barbra Streisand.  Fanny Brice was an iconic performer of her day, whose legacy had survived over the years, and Barbra, even then, was clearly on her way to becoming an icon, herself!!!!!!!!!

                                                 Likewise, when Judy Garland was given the biopic treatment via Judy Davis, I didn't bat an eye.  Another icon who deserves a biopic, and, with Judy and Tammy Blanchard each playing Garland, it was truly something to behold--not the least bit embarrassing or cringe worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                   But Susan Boyle???????????????????????

                                                    Don't get me wrong; when I first heard Susan, via YouTube, do "I Dreamed A Dream" several years ago, I was blown away.  And being one who has heard a few renditions of the song, let alone done one myself, this was considerable praise.  Susan also had the "Funny Girl" factor; like Fanny, she was not "pretty" (and "If A Girl Isn't Pretty...., darlings............) but she rose above it, because when she opened her mouth, out came this gorgeous voice that indisputably showed she had talent. Not unlike Fanny Brice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                     And Susan has gone on to record, and perform all over the world, becoming, what is called in the biz, "an international sensation."  But an icon??????????  I am not so sure.

                                                        Yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                         Over in London, there is a musical playing called "I Dreamed A Dream," which tells the story of Susan Boyle!!!!!!!!!  It has gotten decent reviews!!!!!!!  According to what I have read, when it was being planned, Susan herself was consulted on playing herself; after reading the script, she decided it would be better if another actress did the role.  From what I hear, Elaine C. Smith, who also co-wrote the book, does an admirable job of portraying Susan.  I have to admit if I were in London right now, I would check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                            But wait!!!!!!!!!!!!  Apparently, the show has garnered enough success, so now there is talk of a movie being made.  Now, personally, for the movie, I think Susan SHOULD do it, but do you know who is being talked about, for this role???????????   Are you ready, darlings???????????????

                                                           That is right, girls--Glenn Close!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Huh?????????? First off, how will she do it???????  Will she wear a fat suit?????????  But more important, there is one thing Susan Boyle CAN do which Glenn CANNOT--and that is SING!!!!!!!!   Sure, she has made her attempts, with "Barnum" way back when, and talking her way through Norma Desmond (an insult to La Lu Pone!!!!!!!) in "Sunset Boulevard," but, let's face it, girls, singing has never been Glenn's strong point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                              So, what will they do????? Have Glenn sing, which will mar the impact of the story. Dub her with Susan's tracks?????????  Isn't it a bit obvious, at that point??????? Besides, if you are going to do that, why not get Susan, herself??????????

                                                                And, anyway, this is still talk!!!!!!!!!  Glenn may not be cast, after all!!!!!!!!   I certainly hope not!  Because you know who I think could play Susan Boyle???????? Though I have never heard her sing, I feel there is a voice somewhere there, and I know, from her signature role as Edina Monsoon, that she has no qualms about frumping herself up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                                   That's right, darlings, I am talking about none other than Jennifer Saunders!!!!!!!!!!!!  I stand by that!!!!!!!!! And so, I am sure does Joanna Lumley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                                    Sweeties, sweeties, sweeties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: