Followers

Monday, December 31, 2012

And What Of "Life Upon The Wicked Stage," Darlings?????????????



                              We saw a wonderful production of "A Chorus Line," out at Paper Mill Playhouse, girls!!!!!!!!  But I really cannot recall any singular production I could pinpoint as the Theatrical Event Of The Year!  Not like last year, with "Follies!"

                                Many of us looked anxiously to the Delacorte "Into The Woods" as being that event!  But look what happened there!  And, to paraphrase, the acrimonious Julia Phillips, the creators thereof will never eat lunch in this town again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   When I look back on theater during 2012, the highlight of it all boils down to two people.

                                     Jessie Mueller and David Turner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     Both, as I said, were responsible for lifting the Harry Connick (but forget HIM, honeys) billed revival of "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever" out of the mire it was stuck in.  Both Jessie and David were such presences that, each time they appeared, I found myself asking, in highest complimentary fashion, "Who the hell is this?", they were so good.  And David's rendering of the classic "What Did I Have" was fresh, and the only one I've ever heard  that moved me to tears!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     Jessie consolidated her status by making "Into The Woods" the theatrical event is SHOULD have been--whenever she was on stage!!!!!!  And right now, she is giving a brilliant performance
as Helena Landless in the Roundabout's "The Mystery Of Edwin Drood."  Backed by a flawless production and company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      I will say this again--as the curtain went down on 'Clear Day,'  and I watched Jessie and David, hands held, walking off stage together, I saw the two REAL stars of that show exiting the stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                       So, no production dominated my memory in 2012, but Miss Mueller and Mr. Turner did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                          I can't wait to be on hand to see what both do in 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                       


No comments: