Followers

Monday, December 31, 2012

Time To Lighten Things Up Here, Girls!!!!!! So, Let's Start With Book Of The Year!!!!!!!!!!!

       
                                          According to my Book List for 2012, I clocked out at 56 readings!  Which was actually down from the 58 in 2011; I am telling you, if the R train had not gone down, as a result of Hurricane Sandy, I think I would have at least made it to 60!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           But, when I read "Beautiful Ruins," by Jess Walter, I knew I had found the Book Of The Year.  For a change, the book measures up to the beauty of the cover.

                                            A novel that seamlessly weaves the interconnected lives of a little boy, whose family runs an island pensione, with an actress appearing in a bit role in what would be the 1963 Elizabeth Taylor "Cleopatra," and that uses real life Taylor and Richard Burton for fictitious purposes, is almost too hard to believe.  And yet, it is, because Walter, with a gorgeous prose style, melds all threads seamlessly.
When I reached the end, I felt such a sense of narrative satisfaction.  And I knew, then, I had found the Book Of The Year!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           Also noteworthy, as I said on my original post awhile back, this was the first book I read on Kindle! But, I am telling you, no matter how you read it, it bears reading.  This is no cheesy paean to Hollywood, but a meditation on cultural history and the universal fascination, if not obsession with Fame.  And how it elevates, brings down, and is fleeting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                              I have not seen this on many Ten Best Lists, but, girls, honestly, whom will you believe--those Out There, or yours truly????  This IS the Book Of The Year, and I stand by it proudly!!!!!!!!

                                              Who would have thought?????????????????

                                           

                                         

No comments: