Followers

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Girls, It Was As Though The Years Melted From Me, And I Was Completely Enraptured!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                 It has been a long time, darlings, since I first read "Penmarric."  The first was sometime in 1975 or 1976, when I was in college.  The edition I read was the paperback one, pictured above, and which I just finished, having found said edition in a used bookstore, in mint condition.

                                                    On that initial reading, my favorite character had been Phillip Castallack, because he, like me was struggling with the actuality of his sexuality, though, even in less enlightened times than these,  but moreso than Phillip's, my struggle was more rebellious than his.   As soon I as re-encountered Alun Trevose, this time around, it all came back to me about Phillip, including the incipient tragedy.  I had forgotten how much tragedy permeates "Penmarric." While the central female figure, Janna Rosslyn, lives well into her seventies, she loses, while alive, five of her six children--sons Stephen, Marcus, Hugh, and Phillip, plus daughter Marianna.  Only Jan-Yves, who starts out as the least interesting, and the one most unlikely to become Master of Penmarric--the 19th Century type Cornwall mansion by the sea that everyone in the novel seems to be vying for ownership of--but then, the most unlikely do turn out all right in the end, sometimes, don't they?  A point I need to keep in mind, as I approach my 40th High School reunion, which is maybe why it was serendipitous, at this point, that I re-read "Penmarric."

                                                       I believe this was my third reading.  Along with this, and her second saga novel, "Cashelmara," Susan Howatch set the Gold Standard for this type of novel, culminating in such other works as Taylor Caldwell's "Captains And The Kings," and Helen Hooven Sanatmeyer's "...And Ladies Of The Club."  Howatch writes most like the Victorians, and it is very likely my taste for that period of fiction was further enhanced by Howatch.  Having reread "Cashelmara" several years before, I can say why both represent the Best of Howatch, I think "Penmarric" has the edge, overall.  Its character examinations are penetrating, its having a homosexual man take center stage was daring even for 1971, when it was first published.  I suppose I shall always carry a sentimental feel to Phillip Castallack; my first real gay hero, or role model, (if you want to call him that!!!!!!) though, even in Phillip's times, with my Scarlett O'Hara nature, I could not see myself taking the same crap he did!!!!!!!!  A marriage of convenience??????????  No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                         I was enraptured by "Penmarric" as much as though reading it the first time.  When I got off the train last night, and had less than ten pages to go, I knew I would not stop until I finished it.  In fact, I walked down the street, reading, proceeding into my building, up the elevator, through the door, and into the nearest chair, and I did not stop, till I had completely finished.

                                                           Such is the power of "Penamrric," darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!  You owe it to yourselves to re-discover it, and if you never have, then what on earth are you waiting for?????????????

                                                              You will be swept away, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

The Rush Blog said...

There are three Susan Howatch novels that I love to read - "Penmarric", "Cashelmara" and "The Wheel of Fortune" (which is a borderline masterpiece in my eyes). I've always admired Phillip and felt relieved that Howatch didn't portray him as some kind of cliche. But I confess . . . Jan-Yves has always been my favorite. He is such an entertaining character.

The Raving Queen said...

The Rush Blog,

I have paper editons of "Penmarric"
and "Cashelmara" on my shelves. I read
"The Wheel Of Fortune" when it came out,
but have not since. Yes, I loved the way
she handled Phillip, too. And I was partial
to Jan-Yves. Actually, you could say I am
a little of both!

Howatch's later fiction did not do it for me!