Followers

Monday, June 2, 2014

Farewell To A Beloved Television Icon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                             It is funny to contemplate now, but I actually was aware of Ann B. Davis, long before she became better known to my peers as Alice, on "The Brady Bunch."  Years before, in early childhood, especially during those pre-school years, after "Captain Kangaroo" went off for the day, CBS, before the soap opera laden afternoon, would air syndicated showings of its once popular comedy series.  One of these was something called "Love That Bob!," which had been retitled from "The Bob Cummings Show." It starred this actor, whom I had not heard of, at the time, as some sort of photographer, who was always getting in and out of romantic situations. The one who actually stole the show, with her lines, and delivery, was his assistant, Schultzy, played by Ann B. Davis.  She was sort of the wisecracking human equivalent of Cleo on "The People's Choice," who, of course, was voiced by the great Mary Jane Croft. Unlike Cleo, Schultzy suffered from unrequited love, for her employer.

                              Years later, when "The Brady Bunch" made its debut, and I watched--I went through a period where I wished I had been from a larger family, so I channeled my energies into this--and the credits always ended with "And Ann B. Davis as Alice," the first time I saw it, I said to myself, "Oh. my God, that's Schultzy!"

                                 What she did as Alice was not that much different from Schultzy. She was wisecracking, but in love with no one, until she found Sam, the butcher, played by Alan Melvin.  She oft times dispensed practical advice to the Bradys, most often the children.  But no one did this so long, or so well, as Anne.

                                   Slowly, she seemed to drop from the business.  Apparently, she went to live, and became active, in some sort of Episcopal religious community.  She never married, and for all intents and purposes, was the quintessential virginal spinster, the exception being she was quite content with such.    When I heard she had passed at the age of 88, I thought that wrong. Having been around so long, I thought she would have been ten years older. Funny the tricks Time plays on you, especially when a child.

                                      Ann's comic bravado will be missed. She was a pro in a time when being so seemed to be disappearing.

                                        She will never be forgotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: