Followers

Friday, June 20, 2014

Darlings, My Summer Reading Season Has Officially Begun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                              It traditionally spans the period from Memorial Day to Labor Day.  Most people then turn to the lighter fare, but I choose to turn to the heavier stuff, to make sure I get it in, during the year.

                               This year, because I had some things I had to get out of the way first, I have begun my Summer Reading Season with a fourth reading of George Eliot's "Middlemarch."  This is planned to be followed by Rebecca Mead's "My Life With 'Middlemarch'," which came out last year, and, wanting to read it, I figured I would reread Eliot before tackling Mead.

                                  Now, after that, I am scheduled to tackle something even more momentous than "Middlemarch--"  Leo Tolstoy's Russian epic, "War And Peace."  I have one of the more updated translations waiting for me, and this will be my third reading thereof.

                                    Aside from that--I have only some considerations--some of which I may or may not get to.  And many, because of the type of reader that I am, are rereads.

                                      Dickens--Either "David Copperfield," "Great Expectations," or "Bleak House".

                                      "Little Women," by Louisa May Alcott.

                                      "The Alienist," by Caleb Carr--Not heavy duty like some of these others, but Serial Killer Fun!!!!!!!!!!  Probably one of the best serial killer novels ever, and I am sure some would say THE best!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      "Gone With The Wind," by Margaret Mitchell--It is the 75th Anniversary of the movie, and after that disgusting comment in "Vanity Fair," claiming it has been reduced to a "piece of routine schmaltz, read only by teenage girls, if anyone!"  Nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         The Mayfair Trilogy, by Anne Rice--consisting of the masterpiece, "The Witching Hour," and  its lesser, but necessary sequels, "Lasher" and "Taltos."

                                           Like I said, I don't know how far I will get.  Right now, I am on page 27 of "Middlemarch" (the Modern Library Classics Edition, best to own!!!!!!!!) and I will inform you of how I fared, and what I enjoyed, when the season ends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                              Bur, right now, it is just Heaven, with Dorothea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: