Followers

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Here's A First Look, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                             When I promise my girls things, I deliver, so here is a first look at the film version of the Stephen Sondheim musical, "Into The Woods."  You recognize those eyes, of course.  They belong to Meryl Streep, aka the Divine MERYL, who is playing the wWitch in the film.

                                But, when I saw this photo, my initial reaction was, "What kind of shit have the Hollywood designers come up with?"  Even in her crone stage on Broadway, Bernadette Peters never looked this ugly.  From the way the director has her positioned in the tree, MERYL  looks like she can't make up her  mind whether she is Fantine about to deliver "I Dreamed A Dream" (which is something all us MERYL worshipers would love to hear!) or an aged version of Helen Keller in "The Miracle Worker!"

                                 Not to mention that this show, so magical in its original engagement on Broadway, is about to be Disneyfied.  Meaning the song "Any Moment" is being cut, the Baker's Wife and the Prince do not sleep together, and Rapunzel does not die!  I mean, what is the point?

                                  Why allow Disney to touch Sondheim???????  If they did "Follies," they would resurrect the old set for the "Mickey Mouse Club," and have everyone dressed as ancient and young Mouseketeers.   Too bad some other company could not get their hands on this.

                                      I understand Sondheim has commented on the collective outrage from the Theater Queen community.  I have not directly heard these comments, so I hope he is not offering a defense. Otherwise, he becomes Franklin Shepard himself, from 'Merrily.'

                                       At this point, I am willing to give Sondheim the benefit of the doubt. But with these changes already in place, I guarantee the film will be crap!  I will see it, for MERYL, but that is about it!

                                         Meanwhile, I hear Musical Legend Ann Morrison is getting ready to play the Witch, I would guess, somewhere in Florida!!!!!!!   My antidote, for 'Woods' mavens is to take a Florida vacation at this time, catch the rays by day, and Ann by night!  There; your problem is solved!

                                          Easier, and healthier, than a Cathy Mitchell Dump Cake, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: