Followers

Friday, April 14, 2023

A Distinguished Writer! A Convicted Murderer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                           That is quite a resume for one's life.  But Anne Perry did it.



                            I read and loved several of her books.  Like many writers in the mystery genre, she was good and prolific.  To read her entire oeuvre would be like devoting one's reading career to no one else--something I am constitutionally unable to do.


                             But I admired Anne Perry for her writing.


                             As for her other credential---


                            I walked into "Partners In Crime," a mystery bookstore that used to exist on Bleecker Street, in New York City.  I happened to be looking for an Agatha Christie book, where the murderer turns out to be a child.  Such things fascinate me.  I did not know the title of the book, so they were unable to locate it.  (Years later, I learned it was "Crooked Little House," and read it.)  While I was waiting for the clerks to complete their search, I spotted a group of people in the back, seated around a middle-aged woman with red hair.  This was post 1994.  I stared at the sight for a minute, then quietly asked the clerks if that was Anne Perry back there.  They confirmed it was, that she was doing a reading, and the first thing that went through my mind was not being in the same room with a distinguished author, but a convicted murderer.


                           When "Heavenly Creatures," directed by Peter Jackson, was released in 1994--right before my 40th birthday!!!!!!!!!--I was obsessed.  I saw it several times, and while the murder was depicted in all its horrific glory I felt for these two misguided girls, played by Kate Winslet (the Anne Perry character, born, and here named, Juliet Hulme) and Melanie Lynskey (whose career, based on this performance I thought should have gone through the roof like Winslet's, but did not, though she still works).


                             Next year will mark the film's 30th anniversary, and I hope it gets a revival screening, as I would like to see it again.  That opening scene, with the two girls running out of the park, screaming for help into the camera, their clothes and faces drenched with blood, is something I will never forget.


                              According to Miss Perry, she did it because she was afraid if she did not, Pauline would take her life.  I can understand that; being a suicide survivor (people I have known) myself, it is something hard to deal with.  She also stated theirs was not a sexual relationship.  That may have mattered on June 22, 1954, the day of the murder, but does it really matter now?


                              Pauline, last I heard, tends a horse farm in either England or Wales.  She may still be alive, or not.  She and Anne/Juliet have not seen each other since the 1950s, under order of law.  Taking her stepfather's name (her parents divorced) Juliet took the name Anne Perry and carved out a career for herself that stands alongside her notoriety  Interestingly, they never killed again.  If only hormonal therapy or antipsychotics had been available back then; alas, they were not.  It may have helped Pauline, who was then 16, and Juliet, then 15.


                                 I cannot imagine the guilt both had to live with.  It prevented Anne from marrying, as she was afraid of the consequences of any potential spouse finding out her secret.  Alas, ever since "Heavenly Creatures," it has become established, and is all over the Internet.


                                  So, finally maybe Anne can rest in peace, which is all I wish her.  Another reminder to me that fame comes with a price..



                                   Sometimes that price is too hard to pay.


                                   Farewell and Godspeed, Anne Perry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  





2 comments:

Victoria said...

wow
Fame does come with a price
We’ve seen it time and time again
I never wished to be famous, have you?
Wealthy definitely!! but not famous

The Raving Queen said...

Victoria,
I did want to be famous and rich.
But seeing and hearing the original insights of
"A Chorus Line," back in 1975, changed that.