Followers

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Darlings, It Is A Guarantee Kelly Will Be FABULOUS!!!!!!!!



No, lambs, I don't mean Grace Kelly, or even Kelli Garner from "Pan Am." My girls know that I, of course, mean Musical Theater Legend Kelly Bishop, who, to my entire generation, and to moi, who witnessed it firsthand, will always be Sheila in "A Chorus Line."

Kelly originated that role in the 1975 musical theater classic, and her character was based on her own life. At least, girls, her life they could put on stage!!! Mine, they wouldn't dare!!!! Who could forget her definitive rendering of "At The Ballet?"
And how many of my girls out there have, at some point, stood room center, hand on hip, and cried, "Daddy always thought that he married beneath him./That's what he said!/That's what he said!"???????? Darlings, you know I have!!!!! After all, every gay man is Sheila!!!! We may be vulnerable, but we survive by being a bitch!!! But lovable bitches, dolls!!!!

During the drama of what was last weekend, I was walking down West 43rd Street, to meet Monsieur following his CUNY class. I happened to pass the Stephen Sondheim Theatre, where the Sutton Foster revival of "Anything Goes" is currently running, when whose photo and name should I see on a window, but....Kelly Bishop!!!! Lambs, I am telling you, I was so excited!!!!!

Kelly is back on Broadway, and that is good news!!!! She is currently playing Mrs. Harcourt, mother of Hope (the role Jessica Walter opened in!!!!) in the musical, and, as she does with every stage appearance, you know Kelly will nail it!!!! And now that Kelly is in the show, that gives me an even bigger incentive to see it, which I have not. For the record, one month from TODAY is my birthday, so tickets to this would be nice!!! There, I said it!!!! Like Baby Jane Hudson, I have never had a problem expressing what I want!!!!!

It seems like I have followed Kelly since her Sheila days. Well, not literally, but I did see her as Ouisa in 'Six Degrees,' a play I have many issues with, but her performance was spectacular, and she moved across the stage with the grace she had as Sheila!!! I also have seen her in "The Last Night Of Ballyhoo," and, most recently, in "Steel Magnolias" at the Paper Mill. A Kelly appearance is always a pleasure, and is looked forward to, avidly!!!!!

I want all my girls to get over to the Sondheim and see Kelly!!! You know I will, loves!!! As Sheila herself would say, "She was FABULOUS, the way she did it!"

You better believe it, hons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: