Followers

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Seems Like I Am Being Pushed In One Direction, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!



Girls, would you believe this???? With all the talk I have been doing on here of late, regarding books, literary events, etc, and referencing David Foster Wallace's "Infinite Jest," along comes another reminder of same! In the current "New York Magazine" is an article, laying bare the parallels and such to Jeffrey Eugenides' newly published work, "The Marriage Plot." And who/what gets referenced once more????
David Foster Wallace, and "Infinite Jest," of course!

Am I being urged to read this work? Yet, as I keep asking myself, how do I make the time for it, as this is a book that DEMANDS concentration!!!!!!!!! And from what I gather, next to it, "Ulysses" is a snap!!!!!!!!

An esteemed colleague of mine claimed to have started it, but gave up. He further hinted he attempted to read Wallace's debut work, 1987's "The Broom Of The System," and was turned off by the writing, style, etc. It is clear the Gauntlet of Literary Challenge is being flung down before me!!!!!!!!!!

I am a big believer in Threes. From vocal trios, to events, you know what they say about things coming in threes. If, in the next several weeks, a reference to "Infinite Jest" crosses my path, that may just be the sign to put other works on hold, and read it!!!! In which case, I will give my girls a full report!!!!!!!!!!

However difficult the book does prove to be!!!!!! In which case, I may not finish it!!!!!!!!!

But so far, nothing could beat Anthony Burgess' "Earthly Powers!" After 450 pages and counting of TRYING to read that mess, you know what it did????? You know what it did, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It drove me to.........Candace Bushnell!!!!!!! That's right--CANDACE BUSHNELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: