Followers

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

And You Thought There Would Not Be Another!!!!!!!!!!



Girls, you really did not think I would let February slip by, without another Celebrity Profile????? I had planned one more in-depth, but time and circumstances warranted I go with what I have. But I am delighted to profile this next subject, who is both delightful and admirable.

One of my favorite people in New York City happens to have been in one of my favorite films. And, no, I am not talking about "The Wizard Of Oz," or "The Song Of Bernadette," darlings!!!!!!! I am talking about the 2002 documentary "Cinemania," (I cannot believe it has been TEN years already!!!!!!!), which profiled the lives of five, shall we say, impassioned and dedicated moviegoers.

I will never forget my first viewing of this film. It was in the Cinema Village over on East 12th Street, and I sat next to the great filmmaker, Tod Solondz. When the film came on, I recognized, Roberta (now deceased) the Queen of the Cinemaniacs, as a fixture I had seen at revival houses for years!!!!!! When Eric came onscreen, I did a double take--because I knew this guy, he being a frequent purveyor of my workplace.

So over the last decade I have become more acquainted with Eric, who, in addition to being my Favorite Cinemaniac, is something of a survivor, which I admire.
Eric had been living for ages in an apartment in Forest Hills, Queens. Circumstances intervened, and that was lost, and now Eric resides uptown in Manhattan, but dedicates himself by day to the Senior Center in his former nabe of Forest Hills. What Eric has been through would have destroyed me; more power to him, I say!!!!!! He is a Steel Magnolia!!!!!!!!!!

Because of his cultured, educated manner, I figured Eric hailed from the West--like San Francisco. But, according to him, he actually grew up in Boulder, Colorado. During the height of the Viet Nam War, he moved to Canada in 1971, to avoid the draft (right on, Eric!!!!!!!). By 1976, with his brother, a musician, established in New York City, he moved here, being enamored with those Sixties films, "Breakfast At Tiffany's" and "The World Of Henry Orient." And who wouldn't be????????? He supported himself for many years as a proofreader, which surprises me none, as Eric is one of the most perceptive and intelligent souls out there. His favorite film is "Stage Door" (which I happen to like, too!) and a close second is "Ruggles Of Red Gap," which I have yet to see, though no doubt I will at some point.

Eric is one of the unsung celebrities of New York, and deserves this profile!!!!! I look forward to every encounter I have with him!!!!!! And I trust his critical instincts more than I do most professional critics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, Eric on being the Raving Queen's Celebrity Profile for February!!!!!!!!!! My girls, and I, salute you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

The Raving Queen said...


I completely agree with what yiou say about Mr. King. Eric is a treasure!