Followers

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

We've Made It To Another Candlemass Eve, Darlings!!!!!



Can you believe it is February 1, already????? And that means tonight is Candlemass Eve, when the Witches mock the rituals of the Church, and, at midnight, sacrifice a Virgin!!!!! Though things are getting tougher and tougher with witches these days. When it comes to mocking church rituals, they seem to be have been outdone by the international avalanche of pedophile priests. And when it comes to sacrificing a Virgin....well, where are you supposed to find one?????? Not here, darlings, I can tell you that!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to think this, but remember, in "Rosemary's Baby," when Hutch reports in 1959 that a dead infant, wrapped, was found in the Bramford????? Perhaps the witches have no choice when it comes to virgins, though I do not approve of infantile sacrifice.

Of course, the film to watch this evening is the 1960 classic, which started all this, "Horror Hotel," also known as "City Of The Dead." Patricia Jessel is a hoot as Elizabeth Selwyn/Mrs. Newless, delivering witticisms with all the aplomb as though she were appearing in a Noel Coward play!!!!!!!!! And we just LOVE that opening scene!!!!!!! And Lottie!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention the idea of Whitewood as a vacation spot!!!!! Want someplace quiet and peaceful, loves????? Want a place where you can get a lot of reading done???? There be Whitewood. Unless, of course, you are inivited to "services."

So curl up this eve with "Horror Hotel." Which can also be viewed on YouTube, by the way!!!!!! If you can't find a virgin to sacrifice, plunge a knife--or your teeth--into some red velvet cake!!!!!!! Perfect for any occasion!!!!!!!!!!

Just wait till my wedding, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

HarlowFan said...

Since we're on a horror theme, thought I'd let you know I'm seeing the revival of Carrie tonight. I'll let you know how it was!

The Raving Queen said...

By all means, do! My partner and I are seeing it on the 18th. I am curious, since I missed the legendary Broadway flop!

HarlowFan said...

I hear that Piper Laurie was in the audience last night. I saw the original production and actually enjoyed it. I think that was partly because it was a Wednesday matinee filled with students who really loved it. Their enthusiasm was catching. I mean I knew it had problems, but it certainly isn't on the short list of the worst I've seen! I'm seeing the Encore's Merrily We Roll Along on the 16th. I'm listening to the London cast recording now, because I hear that the Encore's orchestrations will be closest to that version. Yes, I know,I'm just a tad anal huh?

The Raving Queen said...

Funny you should mention 'Merrily'. My partner and I are seeing it on Valentine's Day. That is a rather personal show for me, which I will post about as the time draws near. I did not know there was a London Cast LP. I have heard the York one with Malcom Gets--with whom I am acquainted--but never saw. The Original Cast of that is still the Gold Standard. But I am excited!!!!

HarlowFan said...

The London recording is from 1993, a year before the York version, and is the same version. The cast includes Maria Friedman as Mary, Evan Pappas as Charlie and Jacqueline Dankworth as Beth. The orchestra was bigger than the York's, although the York version added more musicians for the cast album. And yes, I agree that the original cast album is still the best,mainly because of Ann Morrison.

HarlowFan said...

Well, Carrie is never gonna be a great show and the lyrics are mostly trite, but I sure had fun! The entire cast is great and Marin Mazzie stops the show with her second act number When There's No One. It's a stunning number. The blood spilling at the end is more stylized than literal, which worked just fine for me. After 20 plus years I can't remember everything that was changed from the original, although that version had a song where Carrie made all these little toy animals dance in the air, that is missing here. With intermission the whole thing is two hours and ten minutes which goes flying by. Fun and sometimes surprisingly moving. Enjoy!

The Raving Queen said...

Thank so much for sharing your reaction. I look forward to seeing the show. And when I post about 'Merrily' I will share about my brief acquaintance with Ann Morrison. She was lovely!!!!!!!!