Followers

Monday, November 2, 2015

"Look Out...Below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


                                       "'Avalanche'...it's a fun, fun game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                       Remember when that battle cry was shouted on TV commercials across the land during, I guess the late Sixties?  You better believe I had "Avalanche;" after all, I had just about every game out there, and it was a lot of fun.

                        Its attraction came from not being a traditional board game.  And it was manufactured by Parker Brothers, who were the Gold Standard in board games.  I guess they were trying to go in a new direction, and this was one of their successes.  You set up the display to stand, slanted, then ran the marbles down, so they slid through the swinging gates.  I guess the first one to lose all their marbles won.  If you didn't lose your marbles, from Life, in general.

                        What made me think of "Avalanche."  It was the idea of things that used to be fun, like Halloween, which has become so NOT fun.  The yellow box of the cover was colorful and attractive, and the game was creative in a more novel way than board games.  How could I have known, then , that this was the forefront of technology.  I mean, just look at the board.  It has a computational feel to it, does it not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                          But "Avalanche" is a fun look back on the past.

                          Much safer than a real one, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: