Followers

Monday, September 19, 2016

This Novel Does NOT Go Out In A Blaze Of Glory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                               One should not judge a book by its cover, but the one of "Smoke" is arresting. It got my attention, because it comes closest to resembling the painting of the burning church in "Rosemary's Baby."

                                As a novel, it starts out on an exciting note. It is sort of "Harry Potter Meets Charles Dickens," with three young people--Thomas, Charlie and Livia--on a series of fantastic adventures that starts at a school. There are nods to Dickens, Rowling, even Aldous Huxley.

                                 But after a time, maybe 250 pages, it bogs down. It is hard to maintain the excitement of the first part, so I was rather anxious to finish the book. The work was readable enough, and I fear a series is going to be tin the works, but am not sure I would read it. I am content to let "Smoke" stand on its own.

                                   It should have pressed my buttons. I think the problem is Dan Vyleta does not know when to let go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: