Followers

Monday, September 26, 2016

"Now We'll Know," Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                              For years, I have been hearing about this "Merrily We Roll Along" documentary.  Now, finally under the title "Best Worst Thing That Ever Could Have Happened" ( a paraphrase from the show's song, "Now, You Know!") it is due to premiere at the New York Film Festival, and, rumor has it, in selected theaters, on November 18.  Which just happens to be my birthday.

                                It is my good fortune to be caught in the middle with my relationship to the show. In addition to having sung its songs, and met some of its cast, I was also of an age to view the show as a young enough youngster, and now old enough to be the older characters looking back and reflecting.
My first viewing, of the Original Production blew me away with its score, and some of its engaging performers, chiefly Ann Morrison and Lonny Price.  Lonny, by the way, put this film together.  But, in 1981, the idea of being 43 was alien to me, so when the kids started singing "How did you get there from here, Mr. Shepard?" I completely related.  Seeing the ENCORES presentation, some thirty years later, I understood how he got there, the regrets, the compromises, the choices we are forced to make, and then question which have been the right ones.  In 1981, "Our Time" lifted my spirits.  When it was performed at ENCORES, it broke my heart.

                                Suffice it to say seeing this documentary will be quite an emotional experience for me.  Anyone who was of age to have seen the original production of this musical, cannot help responding viscerally.

                                   I cannot write about 'Merrily' without including another personal aspect of my life.  While picking up my tickets for the initial performance--which I saw on Halloween, which was 1981, and a Saturday night--there was a man in front of me, doing the same, and we struck up a conversation, that turned out to be a friendship lasting 29 years, upon his passing.  This was David Semonin, of New York, by way of Louisville, Kentucky. It is impossible for me to hear or view this show without thinking of him, and I know I will, when I see the documentary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      Which I cannot wait for, darlings!  The only thing that could be better than seeing it was having lived it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                         Or was it?  We will know, in time, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: