Followers

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

He Was An Actor's Actor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                I was shocked to learn that John Mahoney died on February 4.   From complications, related to some form of cancer.  What a loss.  He was 77.  He certainly did not look that age.

                                I recall the first time I saw him, which was in "The House Of Blue Leaves," at the Vivian Beaumont, back in 1986!  My God, was it that long ago?????????

                                Anyway, this unknown oldster came out, and blew everyone away!  Between he and Swoozie Kurtz, as Bananas, Mahoney and she walked away with a show that also featured Stockard Channing, and Ben Stiller.

                                  Next time I saw him was in his brilliant scene with Olympia Dukakis in "Moonstruck."  I think that is my favorite of his work.

                                   Soon, after that, there was hardly a movie that did not feature Mahoney.  I can recall his scary performance as a corrupt corporate attorney in 1996's "Primal Fear," which had an A-list cast including Richard Gere, Laura Linney,. Maura Tierney, Frances McDormand, and Edward Norton in an Oscar nominated debut.  He should have won.

                                      The looks Mahoney gave in the courtroom were as scary as the ones given by Paul Sorvino, in "Good Fellas."

       

                                       And then came "Frasier."  I never warmed to Kelsey Grammer, but I loved everyone else, especially Peri Gilpin, as Roz!  Mahoney was priceless in his role as the blue collar father of two effete sons, and could do more sitting in a chair, than most could walking across the stage, reciting lengthy monologues.

                                       I would have loved to study with someone like John Mahoney.

                                        He left no survivors.  Was he gay?  We may never know! Does it matter? Yes, because it is something to be proud of, and showed there was no role he could not do.

                                         Rest In Peace, John Mahoney!  Those of us who admire fine acting salute you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Videolaman said...

Its kind of shocking to realize how young he was when he began playing the Crane patriarch: in actuality he wasn't all that much older than Grammer, but gave off a vibe of being from a prior century. That extraordinary ability to simply manifest a role, instead of "acting it", is so rare that its almost never celebrated. John Mahoney was a consummate performer in that vein.

I, too, marveled at John's chemistry with Swoozie Kurtz in "Blue Leaves" - at the time, I was involved with my first partner, who worked for Actors Equity. This gained me entree to more plays and shows than I've ever seen before or since. My partner had struggled with such issues in his own family, so "Blue Leaves" was quite cathartic for him.

After "Frasier" ended, Mahoney turned up in the HBO series "In Treatment" as one of Gabriel Byrne's patients: a high-powered corporate titan in the midst of imminent mental breakdown. Another stunning, seemingly effortless performance- tho I kind of resented it at first, because his naturalistic interpretation was at odds with the overall cast vibe of "Actor's Studio" intensity. I felt he was distracting from that tone, which I found gripping, until I realized it was intentional. Necessary, even: the show needed a counterpoint that would highlight how suffocatingly artificial the live of the therapists really were.

The ambiguous news coverage of Mahoney's death is confusing to me. I could have sworn he indirectly outed himself quite some years ago, even appearing at a couple pride parades (and no, I'm not confusing him with other "out" "Frasier" alums). On one hand, it is surprisingly respectful of today's media not to label him since he apparently did not label himself, OTOH, you've got to be kidding with the Victorian "never married, had no children" euphemism.

Whatever: he was by all accounts a kind, generous, warm, talented man who lifted the spirits of anyone who ever came in contact with him. That last is not a trait common to actors, never mind most human beings: for that alone he will be greatly missed.

Rest in peace John: we loved you.

The Raving Queen said...


I would love to see him in "In Treatment."
He could do anything. He did get a TONY
Award, but his legacy of work will
eclipse any awards received.