Followers

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The Lee Miglin Murder Episode On 'Versace' Last Night Was Brilliantly Done, But Had Vewers Asking More Questions!!!!!!!!!!


                                  I can remember, back in the day, when you could not go to a gay establishment--bar, theater,  or community center--and not see Andrew Cunanan's mug shot plastered on the wall somewhere.  I am telling you, I was scared, not for myself, but for the gay community.  I was neither older nor rich--and even though I am the former now, I am not the latter, which still makes me safe from being a Cunanan target--but, nevertheless, with my unerring avocation of serial killers, I can recall looking out of the corner of my eye, in the West Village, seeing if I could spot him.  I don't know what I would have done.  I would like to say I would have confronted him, but, while I consider myself pretty clever, he might have been more clever than I.  I am sure, had we crossed paths, he would have been carrying weaponry.  All I would have had on me was a mouth, and my attitude.

                                   Not quite enough when dealing with a serial killer.

                                   The brilliant acting of Judith Light and Mike Farrell as the Miglins, and Darren Criss' (who knew he had it in him?) wonderfully terrifying take on Cunanan was the highlight of the whole thing.  My only criticism was, the segment was too short, and did not dig deep enough into the back stories of the lead characters.

                                    How many times have I said, on here, there is nothing more dangerous than a great, big closet case?  Well, this episode was all about that point.

                                    How and where did Miglin and Cunanan first meet?  It was obvious, from the initial phone call, that they had, and probably had some sort of physical contact.  You knew Miglin was extremely closeted, because, that whole altar scene--in his house, darlings!  Not even my Irish Catholic grandparents had such a thing--as he trembled in anxiety to stay away from Cunanan.  As Nancy Regan once said, "Just say NO!"  My God, I never thought I would be quoting her!  Heaven, forgive me!

                                      It just goes to prove Miglin was not only a big closet case, but too tormented to really play these games.  So, as soon as they got in the garage, and Cunanan started taping him, after a little snap and tickle, that is when I found myself screaming at the TV set, "Now, is when you walk away!"  But Miglin didn't.  He allowed what happened to happen.  Is this some sort of martyrdom?  Some sort of way to rid himself of his marriage, or of having to keep up the pretense of being straight?

                                     As for Marilyn, it was clear from the way Judith Light played it, she knew exactly how things had gone down.  She may not have known Andrew Cunanan, but she knew, even before his photo was shown, that her husband had been done in by his homosexual activities.

                                      Now, Andrew was a monster.  But I get it.  He wanted more out of life than he got.  He wanted fame.  I would bet anything he thought exactly what I thought, when in my twenties--that having fame would solve all life's problems!  Four decades later, I see how wrong that is; fame, in most cases, only creates more.  Remember the intro to the TV series, "FAME," when Debbie Allen says to her students, "You want fame.  Well, fame costs.  And right here is where you start paying!?"  Andrew Cunanan never realized that part of the equation in acquiring fame.  He thought because he wanted it, he was entitled to it!  No, dear, that's not how it works.  And, instead of killing Versace and Miglin, they could have told you that!  But you did not care.

                                      Besides, your looks were limiting.  The preppy looking Andrew was what the queens went crazy for. But when he chubbed up to where he looked like your average migrant worker, who the hell wanted that????????????????

                                        At the time, I knew how his story would end, even before it happened.  I knew he would kill himself, because he had no other options.  His looks were going, he may have been clever, but had no idea how to utilize whatever skills he might have had, or learned, and, as a snob, he did not want to locked up with prison lowlifes.  Who would definitely corn hole his so-called high class body, reducing him to the trash he actually was.  And he could not have that!  Oh, no!  Not socialite Cunanan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      Andrew was a closet case.  He had no real interest in sex.  Like Eve Harrington, it was just a tool of opportunity.  He hated himself, and he wanted fame.  As if that would eradicate the self hate.

                                       Miglin demonstrated that the success did not eradicate the self-hate.  The danger of closet cases is internalized homophobia, thrill seeking, and fear of discovery.

                                       This episode showed what happened when two people in such equal danger collided with one another!

                                        The results, darlings, were not pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Videolaman said...

When I learned of Mike Farrell's casting in this some weeks ago, my first thought was "he's still alive?" and my second thought was "why him, of all actors to pull out of the obscurity cabinet?"

But he did an excellent job here: one could not ask for more. With very little screen time, he infused his portrayal with as much respect and understanding of the real Lee Miglin as possible. All the frustrated longing, the pride tempered by genuine humility, the kindness, the genuine and significant affection for his wife. And sadly, the grasping at any straw that could fill the gay ache in his heart. His enthralled reaction to Cunanan's kiss, despite being fully aware it was cynical hostile manipulation, was heartbreaking. Not to mention a jarring reminder how easily some of us are seduced by or attracted to artifice, not matter how false, because reality is so unsatisfying.

Judith Light was a complete surprise: I was not expecting her to turn up in this, given her similar role in "Transparent". You sensed immediately she was out to prove she had the chops to completely deconstruct that character and re-assemble it in honor of Marilyn Miglin- in this she succeeded admirably. Like Farrell, she did everything in her power to humanize a woman ripped from the newspapers. You got the cliche of the frustrated wife, but also again the deep affection and respect for her husband. Theirs was a compromised life, imposed on them by time and place, but they fiercely tried to make the most of it.

Darren Criss scared the hell out of me. Partially because I used to fall for this type and let it lead me around by the nose (not necessarily in a sexual way, but I've had friends with that looks/charm/m.o. combo). But mostly for the contempt he heaped on his victim Lee: granted, his speech during the murder was fictionalized, but seemed exactly the kind of thing Cunanan would say. The idea of a killer tormenting and humiliating his victims for the sin of falling for the very charms they employed to ensnare them strikes me as the height of sadism.

The Raving Queen said...


I too wondered that Farrell was still
alive. He must have been drawn to the
part and the project, because he seldom
works now.

His was the only portrayal of a closet
case I had any sympathy for. But when
he let Andrew put tape on him, I said,
"Oh, no! Never, never allow that!"
Not I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!