Followers

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Save The Drama Book Shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                 Another potential casualty of the Manhattan realty market is The Drama Book Shop, a place I have a long personal history with.

                                  Darlings, as an aging queen, I can remember when the shop was located next to the 21 Club, still at 21 West 52nd Street.  This was so far back in the day, I cannot recall how young I was, but can still remember I had not enough money to scrape together to buy a play there, then, so, like other theatrical aspirants, read them there.  I also, by the same token, could not afford a visit to 21, nor ever imagined I would get there.  But I did.  As for the theater, I am still working on that one, girls! But, aren't we always???????????

                                     My real relationship with the shop came in the 80's, thanks to my late friend, David Semonin, who worked there for at least a decade, before taking the helm of the library, over at East Side's Neighborhood Playhouse theater school.  During his shop time, thanks to David, I knew the owners, Arthur and Rozanne Seelen, and their nephew, Allen Hubby, who now runs the shop, and has been doing a brilliant job.   Allen had a sister (and, hopefully, still does!) named Donya, who was married to this dancer, whose first name was Carl, danced with one of the companies, and I recall a night we all went to City Center (I think that was my first time there!) to see Carl dance.  I also recall a guy there named Jon Dwyer, and another named Joe Millett (whom I had a crush on, but he turned out to be straight!!!).  I recall him as a talented guy, who lived in Woodside, where I eventually ended up, and who (Joe, that is!) went on to stage manage the play "Perfect Crime," during its original, Off-Broadway run!!!!!!!!!!!


                                        So, I have a vested history with this place.  From my one time perch at the Library Of Performing Arts, Lincoln Center, I used to refer patrons to this place, if they were unsuccessful in obtaining a script from the library.

                                         Alas, Life moved on, and so did those I mention.  While I admittedly have not visited the shop much at its 40th Street location (my memories come mostly from its having been on the second floor, at 723 West 47th Street), those memories, and the continuity of the place, remain embedded in my heart.

                                          So, Alan, if someone should refer you to this, post it in the shop.  If you need me out front to sing protest songs, let me know.  I still have my folk voice!

                                            The Drama Book Shop is a cultural bastion, that must be saved!

                                             Now, what song, should I end with?  Let's see--

                                             Here is Laura Nyro, singing "Save The Country!"  Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: