Followers

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Ugly Is, As Ugly Does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



                                  I have not yet seen "Can You Forgive Me?," in which Melissa McCarthy is being called Oscar bait for her serious, dramatic turn, as author/forger Lee Israel.  I look forward to seeing this film more than the average person, because, during her most active years, circumstances found Lee and I crossing paths, time and again.

                                   I did not "know" her.  I was on her periphery.

                                   This was due in two ways--to my then working at the New York Public Library For The Performing Arts, and forays to Julius' bar, which Lee, I discovered, frequented.

                                    Let's start with Lee.  She was unattractive, inside and out.  I never dealt with her publicly, as she used the Theater Research Collection more than any other space at LPA, (as a retired employee, I feel I can use this acronym freely) and people I knew who did, dreaded it whenever Lee walked in.

                                    Just the maniacal look in her eyes says "Stay the fuck away from me!"  If there was any member of the public during my working years who could have scared me, it was Lee Israel.

                                      Speaking for myself, now, let me say, that, long before she was caught, long before she wrote the memoir that is the basis for the current film, I was on to Lee; I suspected what she was doing.  I am sure I was not the only one who did, so when she made headlines as a criminal, what surprised me was her stealing from other places--Columbia, Yale, Princeton, even the Library Of Congress.  I think she did it there, too.  It was amazing how she got away with this.  As one of the FBI men who arrested her suggested, she was so brilliant at what she did, you could  almost admire her for it.

                                        But not quite.

                                        Desperation drove her to crime, but don't think of Lee as some latter day Fantine.  Lee was not someone who would welcome compassion from anyone, nor did she want it.  She wanted to do what she did, and be left alone.  If she had not been caught, she would have gone on, until her death, in early 2014, ripping off archive after archive.

                                           As stated, I have not seen the film.  But I have some problems with it  already, based on clips I have seen.

                                            This is such a dark and dour tale, the only one next to Lee who could have written it, would have been Joan Didion.  It should have been shot in black and white, giving it a semi-documentary style.

                                               The problem I see with this film is that it is not dark enough.  Lee was one of the sad and lonely in New York, an embittered miscreant with talent, but not enough to get her where she wanted--at least in an honest way. When McCarthy is serious and dour, there is a look in her eyes, and manerism in her posture, where Lee comes through.  But when she is with this character, Jack Hock (whom I don't believe existed) she comes off as her (McCarthy's) comedic self, and the telephone booth scene suggests a redo of "The World Of Henry Orient."  That fun filled, joyous feeling, was not part of Lee Israel's world.

                                                And I know this, because of my forays into Julius' bar.  You see, it was (and still is) right across the street from Three Lives Bookstore, on Waverly Place and West 10th Street, which was, and still is, my home away from home.  When in that area, and I needed to take a leak, I would stop in to Julius', and, to justify myself, order a coke, sit in the back, observe, read, and write.  These were also my spinster years, too, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                  Let me tell you, Julius' did, and still looks, like a stage set to perform "The Iceman Cometh."  And its clientele--elderly queens,  over aged, down on their luck hustlers, would have made the perfect cast.  Well, one day, I walked in, and who is sitting at one of the front benches, regaling a group of these hard luckers, but Lee Israel.  She never smiled; the closest she came to being ingratiating was a sarcastic snarl or sneer.  Which is why the joviality in some of the film clips I have seen bothered me.  This should be a dark, disturbing film.  I mean, if they are trying to pander to the mainstream, forget it.  Even the way it seems to have been lightened, this film does not stand much of a chance outside NYC, or other big, urban places, like San Francisco, or NOLA. So, why not go ahead and make it the depressing story it is; not a feel good film.  This is NOT "Moonstruck," darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                      I recall the first time I spotted her, my jaw dropped.  I knew who this woman was, and what she did.  I wanted to call her out, on the spot.  What the hell was she doing here, anyway?  I guess she needed to be regaled by anyone, even those low enough on the social chain to tolerate her.  Like when Vincent Price, in "Theater Of Blood" took on the meths, as his acolytes.

                                                    I am sure Lee would agree with me.  But, also, the needy and greedy person she was would love the attention she would be getting were she still here.  I have no doubt she would trot herself out for every press junket or promotional premiere screening.

                                                     Time for me to move on to other topics.  So, I will end this by saying a couple of things--

                                                       Greetings to all former colleagues at LPA!  Especially those who might remember Lee!

                                                         Congratulations, Lee!  You got what you wanted.  Or did you?

                                                        And lastly, for those interested in scouting this film's locations; for those obsessed with film locations of any kind, if you visit Julius' and have to use the bathroom, do NOT touch anything!

                                                         You might catch something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

bitter69uk said...

Lee Israel's biography Miss Tallulah Bankhead (1972) is like a sacred religious text for me. I first read it as a teenager and re-visit it every few years. I didn't find out about the criminal / forgery stuff until much later! I loved your insights and am very curious to check out the biopic when it reaches the UK. Julianne Moore was the original choice to play Israel by the way x

The Raving Queen said...


Bitter69uk,

Thanks for your comments.
I am extremely curious about
this film, and will post once
I see it. I knew Julianne
Moore had been chosen, which
interests me--how would she
be frumped up to look like Lee?

Melissa really gets her in certain
scenes.

Never read any of her books, but I
would like to read the memoir!

Thanks again!!!!!!!