Followers

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

What A Charming Little Theatrical Bauble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                              It had been awhile since we had seen any Manhattan Theatre, but last Sunday, with expectations high, we took a trip to the St. Luke's Theatre, at 308 West 46th Street, and saw "The Book Of Merman."

                               The title was enough to lure me in; after all a spoof of "The Book Of Mormon" would sit well with me, as I thought it the most overrated of shows, and still do!  I can almost see how "The Phantom Of The Opera" made it for 30 years, but to think "The Book Of Mormon" has been running now, for over 7 years?  Who would have thought?

                                This show is both light, in concept and execution.  It barely runs an hour and twenty minutes, so it moves quickly.

                                  Two Mormon Elders, Elder Braithwaite (Kyle Ashe Wilkinson) and Elder Shumway (Chad Burris) accidentally knock on the door of Broadway diva Ethel Merman (Carly Sakolove).  Miss Sakolove gives an all-on impersonation of Ethel, but things become a little dicey when it is revealed she died in 1984--my God, has it been that long???????--and the show's time of occurrence is hardly 1984.  So, what is going on?

                                     This is when things get dicey, and what starts out as a campy romp, morphs into something trying to be a bit more insightful and meaningful.  Personally, I wish they had just stuck to the camp.  The clever way some of Merman's signature tunes are referenced and parodied, early on, are some of this show's highlights.

                                        But the actors are all engaging, especially one, of whom I have much to say.

                                         
Chad Burris, as Elder Shumway, a wannabe Theater Queen, is the freshest face I have seen since Lindsay Mendez in "Carousel."  He walks off with the show.  And, as with Lindsay, I have something to say to those, over at Roundabout, who will be casting "Merrily We Roll Along," Just as I insist Lindsay Mendez be cast as Mary Flynn, I urge you to see Chad Burris for the role of Charley Kringas, which he has the voice and presence for, or producer Joseph Josephson.  Or, get him into the ensemble, because this is a talent too good to go to waste.  I am telling you, get down and see this guy, and sign him up for 'Merrily' pronto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My David and I had a delightful time, from all, at this show, but I have to give special recognition to Chad.

As for the show, everyone is spot on, and it is a great emotional pick-me-p when one is down in the theatrical doldrums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which happens to be just about right now, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, get to the St. Luke's immediately, and discover cheer, fun, and a casting find!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Would you believe Chad once played Jean Valjean?
That cherubic face!

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

I was not aware of this, but I can
see him doing it. He has the vocal
jobs for the role, and is expressive
enough to project the compassion and
empathy required of the role.

While I still have my tenor voice,
let me say it is one of my dream roles!