Followers

Monday, October 1, 2018

"You're Sure To Fall In Love With Old"......Block Island!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                 No, it is not Cape Cod, girls, but it is an enjoyable, romantic place.  My impression is that more locals--those from Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and such, come here frequently, as opposed to New Yorkers, such as David and myself.

                                   I have been meaning to write about this trip, which we took almost two weeks ago, now.

                                 David actually was more psyched for this trip then I was.  We took it on an L am M Bus tour, and, as things turned out, I enjoyed it more than he.

                                  The bus trip was one of the best we have had. Our host, Jason, was hip, funny and charming, and there were no wackos on board.  The most normal group I have traveled with in my short history of L and M tours.

                                    Alas, on the ferry going over, David got seasick, and I know this colored things for him, though he tried to put on a brave face.  We lunched on the back porch of The Surf Hotel--reputed to be haunted, so I want to go back, stay there, and see what is going on.  Sadly, when our lunch was served, and David could not eat a bite, I was concerned.  We walked along the main thoroughfare, and there was even a bookstore, where I emerged with a copy of something I had not been able to find in New York--the novel, "Behold The Dreamers," by Imbolo Mbue.  And we saw the memorial plaque for nurse Mary Donnelly, who served the community faithfully since moving there in 1958, treating patients while raising seven children.  When the mainland was not needed, Mary was more doctor than nurse, and as good as any out there!

                                    The place is small, visually stunning and gorgeous, but is more New England rustic, than Victorian elegant, like Cape May. Both David and I preferred the latter.

                                      As for the trip back, I think David was still recovering; he kept his head on the table most of the time.  By the time the bus ride back commenced, and we parked into that rest top in Connecticut, filled with trucks, but no prostitutes, which is proof to me the state hasn't any, David felt well enough to eat a plate of spaghetti was tomato sauce, from Sbaro's, so I knew he was on the mend.

                                      Block Island is worth a visit,  I loved watching the surf wash out the Summer, as I ate lunch, and heard Sinatra sing "The Summer Knows" in my head.

                                      But, really, darlings, it is more for locals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: