Followers

Thursday, October 11, 2018

When Broadway WAS Broadway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                 The departure of "Carousel," on September 16, was the departure of a genuine Broadway product.  As for what remains, this becomes a more crucial question for me, as we inch closer to November, as this is my birthday month, and, around that time, there is nothing for me to see.  Seeing a show on my birthday is a tradition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   I LOVE Lindsay Mendez, but her gigs at 54 Below come up later this month.

                                   I WANT to see Roundabout's "Merrily We Roll Along."  But that is not until January or February.

                                   As for "To Kill A Mockingbird," Celia Keenan-Bolger is the only reason I want to go.  And when she if offstage, will it hold up?  At least, with "The Glass Menagerie," she was supported by one of the best American plays written, as well as that cast!   But, THIS???????????????

                                   It almost makes me long for "Annie."  That was a show which was truly Broadway.  The original, I am talking about.  Take a look at the Original Orphans.  They are, from left to right, Diana Barrows (Tessie), Robyn Finn (Pepper), Donna Graham (Duffy), Danielle Brisebois (Molly), and Janine Ruane (July).

                                     I saw them all-plus Andrea McArdle, Dorothy Loudon, Reid Shelton, Sandy Faison, Raymond J. Thorne, Barbara Erwin, Robert Fitch, and Laurie Beachman.

                                       Such a cast today could not be afforded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                       To think I almost missed it.  But when I saw "Annie" first presented on the 1977 TONY Awards, and how REAL Broadway it was, I knew I had to see it.  The next day, I was on line at the Alvin Theatre, on West 52nd Street, where I stood in line for two hours to get a ticket to the Saturday matinee, June 25!  It was, indeed REAL Broadway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                          How seldom we get it now!  Darlings, what am I supposed to do, for my birthday?  If any of you have suggestions, please tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                            To see what I mean, take a look how "Annie" was presented on the 1977 TONY Awards!!!!!!!!!!!!  THIS was REAL Broadway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                              Help me find it for my birthday, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Those were the days my friend

The Raving Queen said...


Victoria,

How true! Like the
Cher song, sometimes I wish
I could turn back time!