Followers

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Girls, Can You Believe It???? "Follies" Is Coming!!!!!!!!!




Now, darlings, I cannot completely confirm this, because I have not heard of a specific date or theater, but I have it on best authority that the Kennedy Center revival of the great Sondheim musical, "Follies" (my all-time favorite) is destined to come to Broadway in August. Supposedly, this "Follies" is staged the way it should be, and reports from DC indicated this was the greatest production since the 1971 original. The cast was headed by Bernadette Peters and Jan Maxwell, and they are scheduled to travel. Elaine Page was down there singing "I'm Still Here," as Carlotta, and there is no reason to suppose yet she will not travel north. But it is questionable whether Linda Lavin will. She did the Hattie Walker role (singing "Broadway Baby," and I am sure she is fabulous) but it seems Linda is booked in stuff for the Fall, so who would take her place is a question at this time.
Let it be known to the "Follies" contingent that I am available; I know not only every word of "Broadway Baby," but every word of "Follies," so, lambs, all you have to do is block and light me, and I am good to go!!!!!!!!!!

IF I do not appear, then you know I have GOT to see this. And why August I wonder???? The wealthy Theater Queens who will make this a hit will still be in their time shares and trolling the Meat Rack on Fire Island; I doubt whether they will train in just for the this. So I would not be surprised if it is delayed until the Fall. If so, you know it will be the event of the Season!!!!!!!!!!!!

A perfect production of "Follies" is the dream of everyone who never got to see the 1971 original. I did see the 1985 Concert Version at the Philharmonic, and the 2001 Roundabout Production, which, despite deficits, had a brilliant ending, a brilliant ghostly opening, and Blythe Danner in between, to make it exciting. But a production for the ages????? Hardly!!!!!!!!

May they bring this to New York, and get it right, because time is running out on baby boomers, who, now old enough to play "Follies" principles themselves, have Time closing in on them, if they are to catch a truly good production!!!!!
May this one be it, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Giggling, wriggling, out of our tights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

No comments: