Followers

Sunday, June 19, 2011

When The Parade Passes By!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Girls, we made it to another Coney Island Mermaid Parade, which I have been going to since 1990. The traditional group--Monsieur, Kris and Jerry, Mr. Mayer, not to mention our lovely friend Judy, and I--gathered at Fiorentino's, on the Avenue U stop off the F train, for our pre-parade lunch, which was fabulous. They do the most delicious stuffed escarole imagined, and we had such a great time there, we almost missed the parade!!!!!

At Coney, the rides were going, people were screaming on the Cyclone (not ME, honey!!!!!!!!!), and the Mermaids, Mermen, King Neptune and his Queen ( a REAL woman!!!) were out in full thrall. There were pasties aplenty, and even some exposed boobies. As Neely says, "Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! Who needs them? I did great without them!!!" You know that is true of me, dears!!!! I am sorry to report that we did not see the Naked Devil. And it has been awhile, which makes me think he has either moved, retired, or gotten too heavy to do his act anymore. The sad thing is, in this town, girls, there is always a desirable body waiting in the wings to replace another, so why there has been no successor indeed puzzles me. But the Polar Bears, Icebreakers, and Floats were on display, complete with the always present Dick Zeigen, Mr. Coney Island himself!!!!!!

The weather did us proud; I have to say it was one of the best weather days in all my years of parade going. Cool and overcast, but with a lovely sea breeze. We all sat by the water, walked along the beach and had a relaxing ocean filled day with some gorgeous visuals to match.

This event inaugurates Summer At Coney, and with the Saturday Night Film Festival (can't wait to see what they are showing!!!!) and the Friday Evening Fireworks, I imagine we will get several visits out of the summer, lambs, and I will report on every one.

I am telling you, this parade was better than the one in "Hello, Dolly!" Hope all who were there enjoyed yourselves as much as we did, and hope to see you all next year!!!!!!!!

Before The Parade Passes By, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: