Followers

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Girls, Today Happens To Be Bloomsday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Honey, it seems like June has so much to celebrate in it. Since it is halfway apart from December, another big holiday month, that is not surprising. Two days ago we celebrated Flag Day (as well as Mary Anne's birthday which I am sure was fabulous!!!) Today, we have my niece, Jennifer's birthday; how well I remember that day, which was Father's Day, back in 1968. It seems I remember coming home from the Swim Club we still belonged to (that was the last year) to learn Jennifer had made her debut!!!!!!!!! And, after 43 years, has two children of her own, and continues to thrive!!!!!!!!!!

Not even as literary a figure as I back then recognized the further importance of this day. I don't know when I first became aware of Bloomsday--I honestly cannot remember--but today it is.

Bloonmaday concerns the character of Leopold Bloom, who figures in the James Joyce novel, "Ulysses." Which I still have yet to tackle. The novel actually does take place in one day, which is June 16, 1904, hence the name. But it is also maintained that it was the day Joyce met Nora, the woman who became his wife.

I should have staged a 3PM reading of moi or someone reading Molly Bloom's Soliloquy, which ends "Ulysses." There are many events commemorating this event all over the city, but when one has to work, let alone turn out this blog, there is just no way to fit it in. Maybe some bangers and mash for dinner.

So a happy Blooomsday to all. Yes is the most important word therein.
Make sure you say it for the right reasons, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: