Followers

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Lessons Learned From Lois, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                                         None other than the Divine Lois Smith, girls, who is still going strong at 82, and will reach the age of 83 come this November!  I can't count how many times I have seen Lois brighten many a film with her brilliant acting; I would just love to see her on stage, though I have managed so far to miss that experience.  Though, once, in an auditorium program, centering on Tennessee Williams, I did see her read one of Carol Cutrere's  key speeches from "Orpheus Descending," so I suppose that counts. This was within the last five to ten years, I would say. And let me tell you, when Lois read those lines, time magically stood still.

                                                           Several years later, while catching a screening of Elia Kazan's 1955 "East Of Eden," (with James Dean) I was struck, in an opening scene, by the girl scrubbing the bar at Kate's place.  I kept looking at her, and, once I zeroed in on her eyes, I knew it was Lois Smith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I had never seen her that young, and even then, she had a stunning presence that bode well for the 50 year plus acting a career she still has.

                                                              I just happened to be perusing a book by Robert Simonson, called "Role Of A Lifetime," that standard actor phrase for the part that is going to make your career, and that every actor dreams of.  And two actors I admire most, for both their brilliance and longevity, are in there--Lois, and Austin Pendleton!  While reading a bit of Lois' segment, I realized how very up front she is about not only her career, but the career of an actor, in general.  And it hearkened back to some experiences of my own.

                                                                Back in 1981, Lois relates, she had a small role in a 1981 film ,(largely forgotten, though it would be worth digging up, to see her) entitled "Four Friends."   It was directed by the great Arthur Penn, and the screenplay was by Steve Tesich, who had recently won an Oscar for his script for the now classic film, "Breaking Away," which brought two young actors name  Dennis--Christopher and Quaid--to prominence.  The quartet of up-and comers in this film included Craig Wasson, Jodi Thelen, Michael Huddleston, and Jim Meltzer.

                                                                  "Huh???????," you might say.   Or, "I know those names; I am sure I have seen them on television," might be another response.  Which is the point Lois was trying to make.

                                                                    While shooting the film, all the four actors kept talking about was how lucky they were to have this job, because of the difference it would make in their careers.  I guess that they expected this would catapult them to fame.  Now, being young, actors, and ambitious, I can understand them, thinking that way.  But an old pro like Lois Smith knew better; she knew--and her career bears this out--that it is less about reaching fame than the work you are given to do, and making the most of that work.  She kept her mouth shut on the set, but I am telling you girls out there--listen to Lois!!!!!!!!!!  Look how long she has been at it, as an actress!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                                        This echoes my experience, back in 1975!!!!!!!!!!!!!  When that soon to be landmark musical, "A Chorus Line" opened on Broadway, at the Shubert, where I saw it with the celebrated Original Cast, I was both transported and envious.  Transported by the sheer artistry of the work, and how it spoke to me, but envious of those on stage in it.  At that time of life, I was of the opinion that Fame solves all of Life's problems.   Not only were these dancer/actors destined to be Famous, they were going to go on to Greatness; shows would be written for the likes of Donna McKechnie, and others.  Or so I thought.

                                                                             It did not happen that way.  And it was the first time I was aware that sudden success does not always guarantee lasting fame.  The "Chorus Line" people have, like Lois, carved out a kind of fame for themselves individually by what they have done, and, as a unit, by  having created and appeared in one of the last century's most inspired theatrical works.  I could never have done that; I hadn't one iota of the dance training most of them had since before I was born.  Even if I had, there was no guarantee this opportunity would have crossed my way.

                                                                                 Which brings me back to Lois Smith. She, like so many of the better actors out there--Austin Pendleton, Blythe Danner, even someone with mammoth success like MERYL, understand it is not about the fame, but the work, in general.  Actors today who look at doing it ONLY as a springboard TO fame are going to be in for a disappointment, either when the fame does not materialize, or, when it does, it is not what they thought, and is not ever lasting!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                                                      They need to read Robert Simonson's book. And heed the words of the Wise, like Lois Smith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

HarlowFan said...

I saw Lois in The Trip To Bountiful a few years ago. Also in Buried Child about 20 years ago. She was brilliant in both; and the roles were polar opposites.

The Raving Queen said...


How I wish I had seen her in "The Trip To Bountiful." Not to slight Geraldine Page in the least, but if anyone today could do it, it would be Lois Smith.

I have met her, and she is lovely and gracious!