Followers

Friday, February 15, 2013

You Know What I Would Have Done, Darlings?????????????


                             Girls, I am telling you, it is all connected, when it comes to theater.  I am sure some of you need not be told who is pictured above, but for those who do--that is Pamela Blair, in her signature role of Valerie Clark (singer of "Dance Ten; Looks Three") in the legendary Original Cast of "A Chorus Line. And if you look closely, behind Pam, you can spot, left to right, Don Percassi as Al, Rene Baughman as Christine, and Cameron Mason as Mark!!!!

                               Three years later, Pam went on to originate another role--that of  Amber, (later changed to Angel) a young girl who shows up from Nowhere, and comes to work for Miss Mona at "The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas," in the original cast of that show, back in 1978.  You can hear Pam distinctly on the vocal lead in the song "Hard Candy Christmas," on the cast recording, and she is wonderful.

                                 But, did you know that before the show hit Broadway, Pam had another song assigned to her, only, for reasons I can't fathom, had  it taken away from her by the time it opened????  You know what song that was, dolls???? "The Bus From Amarillo!"

                                  Yes, it should have been Pam singing that song.  Now, I can recall sitting in the 46th Street Theatre, back in the Summer of 1978, and listening to Carlin Glynn (mother of Mary Stuart Masterson) as Miss Mona sing it.  The song, and her rendition, just stopped me in my tracks, and they blew me away!  But to hear Pam Blair sing it...oh, my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   Imagine--being handed a guaranteed show stopper, then having it ripped from under you!!!!!!!!!  Know what I would have done, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    I would have scratched someone's eyes out!  No one takes a show stopper from me!  It has never happened, and it never will!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      So, the next time you listen to that recording, and that song, imagine if Pam were singing!

                                       And maybe she will, at some future date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: