Followers

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Yet More News, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                           A theatrical acquaintance of mine went to see the now current revival of the play, "Moose Murders," at the Connelly Theatre, at 220 East Fourth Street.  I have to say my curiosity was aroused, but he said it was a bad production of a bad play. On the back of the program was the picture seen above.  Beginning May 27, 2013, this group is going to present a musical that was not a hit but beloved among Theater Queens--"RAGS!"

                                             I have to say I was excited, since this would be the first production I have seen of this show in over 20 years. The last one was at the American Jewish Theatre, with Ann Crumb and Krista Moore (whatever happened to them, darlings????) in the lead roles.  Major work had been done on the book; in fact, I saw the production twice.  And, yes, I saw the original production in 1986, at the Mark Hellinger Theatre, with a cast one could only now dream of--Teresa Stratas, Larry Kert, Josh Blake, Dick Latessa, Judy Kuhn and Lonny Price!!!!!!!!!!  Imagine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                               I can still recall how thrilling that first viewing of "RAGS" was. At intermission, I ran to a phone, calling any friends I could think of, telling them to get down to the Hellinger immediately, because, as good as it was, I knew it would not run that long.  It was too dark a musical for Broadway audiences!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                 It took five years for an Original Cast recording to be released, and that was with Julia Migenes Johnson, not Stratas.  Julia is great, but Teresa was something else!!!!!!!!!

                                                  So, you can imagine my excitement at this proposed production.  However my acquaintance cautioned me not to be too excited, because it could turn out to be a big disappointment.  Wonder if I should audition, or work on it, darlings?????  Do I have the time?????????  The stamina????????  Then it would be sure to be done properly!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                    We shall see.  In any case, if not, when "RAGS" goes up, I want to be there for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How many times does it get done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                      "Three Sunny Rooms," darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

HarlowFan said...

From what I've heard, this group is like really bad community theatre. They did A Doll's Life last season and the word was it was abysmal. Not so much the show, the production. Moose Murders while an awful show, some think might be fun if someone like Charles Busch was to tackle it. I missed Rags, both times around, and would love to see a good production, but I'm steering clear of this company.