Followers

Monday, February 3, 2014

And Then, Girls, To Come Home To This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                             It was tough enough,darlings, leaving "The Tribute Artist," knowing Paula Zahn was not going to be on that night. Was it because of the Super Bowl?  Slipping ratings?  Sloppy appearance?  An inability to keep viewers awake?

                             In any case, Paula will be back next week, I found out.  And the evening was compensated for, by the overrated "SVU" episode "Born Psychopath," which had its moments from that fine actress, Hope Davis!!!!!!!! Don't forget; she played Slim Keith, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                Imagine my shock, when, from the living room, my beloved Monsieur cries, "Philip Seymour Hoffman died!"   I couldn't believe it!  He was only 46, but when I heard he'd been found with a needle in his arm, and heroin on the premises, I said, "Uh, oh!"

                                 What was even creepier was, when Monsieur lived on Bethune Street, where I spent much of my time once we met, he lived in the building next door to us!  I never saw him, though I did see other actors wandering through the Village, from time to time, though Monsieur said he did see him about the neighborhood, from time to time!

                                     Now, I may shock some of you, but here goes! He was not my favorite actor. What ever role he did, even the priest in "Doubt," there was always an underlying quality of sleaziness to him, that I did not like. As for :Capote;" come on, he was too tall, too heavy, and basically just did an impersonation! Toby Jones was so much better

                                        That does not mean I considered him untalented--far from it!!!!!--or felt he deserved this death! He did not. He deserved years more of doing what he did best--acting and directing!

                                           I know what Jackie Susann  said, but, girls, you have to stay off the drugs!  Be like me--stick to caffeine and klonopin!  They both do wonders!.  Unfortunately, Mr. Hoffman required stronger stuff, and this is what happens!  Another talent, prematurely lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                             This is one of those moments when one is reminded age does have some advantages, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                     

3 comments:

HarlowFan said...

And now some journalists are lauding him as the greatest actor of his generation. Gee, I thought that was Heath Ledger. If James Franco died tomorrow, it would be HIM. Some asshole on All That Chat actually wrote "NOOOOOOOO! The earth is a lesser place!!" Sometimes I hate people, lol.

The Raving Queen said...


At least the one who said the earth was a lesser place was not referring to the Kardashians! That would be sign of social trouble.

Like I said, not my favorite, but talented. Too bad he wasted that talent on drugs!

Videolaman said...

Having just dug out my DVD of "Infamous" to lend a friend, I agree Toby Jones gave a much more accurate portrayal of the "true" Capote. Hoffman gave an interesting "interpretation" of Capote which relied more on acting than accuracy. Not a bad thing: "Capote" was well done for what it was, and Hoffman certainly was due for recognition.

But those who remember the real Truman Capote and the (now-lost) New York high society that coddled him will find those memories reflected in "Infamous" (and missing from "Capote"). I believe "Infamous" also provided a more vivid, complete picture of how the encounter with Perry Smith nearly derailed Capote's sanity.

The version in "Capote" was simplified to make Capote look like he was concerned solely with the ending for his book, which belies the impact lasting for the rest of his life. Daniel Craig's controversial performance as Smith may not have been entirely accurate, but his energy really drove home how Capote could become so fixated. Hoffman obfuscates much of this by dint of his uniform persona as Capote, while Toby Jones' wide swings of affect focus our attention with gripping precision when he "goes dark."

Sorry for the rambling comment, RQ: didn't mean to be rude. R.I.P., Philip Seymour Hoffman...