Followers

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

What Ever Happened To These??????????????????????


                              Growing up during the Sixties, darlings, I can attest that I whiled away many an hour with Venus Paradise Coloring Sets.  Believe it or not, I had artistic (as in being an artist) aspirations.  Had my aptitude matched my interest, I might have become a commercial or poster artist, for movies or shows.  I always used to try to copy the great movie posters, but they never came out looking the way I thought they should, once I had finished.

                               I did not like working with chalk, and finger paints and paint-by-number sets were really too messy for me, as my parents could well attest.  So Venus Paradise, which were simply colored lead pencils done by number, were perfect.

                                Today, as our generation grows older, I find it turns--I certainly do--back to thoughts of earlier lives.  Things we have came through, when we knew so little, that supposedly help us get through things now (although with my anxiety disorder, look out!!!!!!!), as well as a longing for things that once brought us pleasure--hence, Venus Paradise.  I wish they were still around, because I can picture myself, in old age, filling my time with such activities, even a coloring book with crayons.  I take a glance of the latter when in a store's children's sections, to get a glimpse of what my artistic future might yield, and it is pretty dismal.  The coloring books of today do not match the sophistication of those during my childhood, and, as for Venus Paradise sets, there are no counterparts to these in any arts or crafts stores I have explored in Manhattan and elsewhere.  If any of you can prove me wrong, please feel free to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

                                 It took me forever to complete a Venus Paradise picture.  When I would work on it, I was focused, but huge gaps of time went by when I did not, because I was busy doing other things, and there was a whole ritual to setting up a space for me to work.  I am sure that would continue with old age.

                                    So, a tribute of sorts to Venus Paradise Coloring Sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Some things from the old days should be brought back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                       Like cloche hats, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Videolaman said...

LOVED those Venus Paradise coloring kits! I think I spent more time arranging the pencils perfectly in color groups in their case than I did actually using them (a preoccupation with order and cohesion that apparently disappeared from my personality around the time Paradise Pencils disappeared from stores).

When we were VERY young, the "oil paint by numbers" kits were also still in vogue. I dimly remember painting a horse and carriage scene on a wooden board with my grandfather when I as 4 or 5, still have it these 50 years later.

Even as I enjoyed the Paradise Pencils, I was always obsessed with (and envious of) the pastel stick kits in wooden cases that I would see in the older kids' art classes at school. These were incredibly expensive back then, and not justified by the complete lack of talent I had manifested. But OH, how I craved those pastels and an easel!

Eventually I discovered photography, and that put an end to other artistic aspirations.

The Raving Queen said...


Could you photograph me in the syle of Cecil Beaton?

How I wish these wold return. Lots of future senior citizen Baby Boomers would be placated. And how about Colorforms?

Videolaman said...

I would absolutely photograph your portarait ala Cecil Beaton: I can't think of anyone else who so naturally falls into Garbo-esque poses, so you'd make it easy! Select the right clothes, aim the keylight just so, moisturize an hour before, et voila! Although I think we should steer clear of Cecil's late-period Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady" styles: you strike me as more aligned with Art Deco and Carole Lombard.

Re Colorforms: I have a very rare and intact large-format "King Kong" set that was released along with the infamous Dino De Laurentis 1976 remake. Fortunately the Colorforms look nothing whatever like the movie, you'd never know the tie-in if not for the tiny copyright text on the outer box. Bought it on eBay for $43 back in 2006, I've never seen another listed since and it doesn't even appear on Colorforms fan sites. Perhaps I can bring it to Auntie E's Oscar Viewing Party (if she does it this year).

EasterGirl said...

Faber Castell bought out Venus. So, look at their pencils. I, too, miss the quality of those pencils! I haven't bought any of the Faber Castells, so I don't know if they're the same quality, but they should be.

The Raving Queen said...


Easter Girl,

Thanks for the info. I never heard of
Faber Castell, so I will give them a look!
Would love to take this hobby up again--
very calming!

Ed Dietrich said...

With a sister 10 1/2 years older than me, we had Venus Paradise sets from the 60s right through to the late 70s. I still color to this very day, with original pencils and current ones of equivalent color. (Only last week I completed one entitled "Covered Bridge Vermont" which I started in 1974 or thereabouts.) Sometimes the only vacation spot in the world is in the past.

The Raving Queen said...


Andrew,

I love the poetry in your final line.
I miss these dearly; they provided hours of
entertainment before I was able to read, and
even afterward.