Followers

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Darlings, If You Want To Read Proust, Then READ PROUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                             "When, in sweet silent thought, I summon up remembrance of things past....," Girls this post is less about the Proust masterwork than Truman Capote's "Answered Prayers," which I just finished.  But one cannot be discussed without including the other.  So, sticking with Proust for a bit, let me say, having read the entire masterwork, which is the richest reading experience I have ever had, I have always preferred the title "Remembrance Of Things Past," than "In Search Of Lost Time."  Though, when it is said in French, "Le Recherche Du Temps Perdu," it does sound better.  Things usually do, in French, don't they?

                                Now, for some words about "Answered Prayers," which is at least my second reading of this work.  When the article "La Cote Basque," first appeared in Esquire Magazine, back in 1975, I, already a literary disciple of Capote, read it.  I loved the writing, but, being young and tender, never having been to La Cote Basque, and not knowing who all the major players were--at that time, I did not know ANY of them!!!!!!!--I did not quite get what all the fuss was about.

                                But Time, as it does, took its toll.  I made my entry into the forays of New York night life, and, by the time of my second reading, I knew a little more.  However, this reading, which is probably my third was my most satisfying, as, having lived in New York for over 30 years, having read both Proust's work, "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles," by Dominick Dunne, and "The Power Of Style," by Annette Tapert and Diana Edkins, I fully appreciated the work.  I can now understand why those such as Slim Keith and Babe Paley were so upset.  I say to myself I would not have been, that if Capote had written about me, I would have been thrilled, but, then, I am not coming from the fame Keith and Paley already had, and that I so desperately wanted.  Ans still do!

                               The point of this is--if one is going to read "Answered Prayers," and fully appreciate it, one has to know all the major players. Otherwise, except for that gorgeous Capote prose, there is not much of a point. And  the best way to know these folk is to read some of the books mentioned above, or "Haywire," by Brooke Hayward, "D.V.," which is the autobiography of Diana Vreeland, or Slim Keith's autobiography.

                               The title is attributed to a quote supposedly from St. Teresa of Avila, which goes, "More tears are shed over answered prayers, than unanswered ones."  I disagree, darlings; I think more  tears are shed over Truman Capote!!!!!!!!!

                                I can see, by the almost stream of consciousness style, how he was going for something Proustian.  Does that mean Kate McCloud was his Odette?  However, even if the allegedly complete work had been published it would have paled beside Proust in terms of scope, breadth, and lyricism.  Not that Capote was not gifted at the latter, and shows it here.  His vision was just not panoramic enough.

                                 But , once you understand what and whom he is writing about, I am telling you, girls, what a bitch fest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It gives me pause for reflection and inspiration!

                                    It is not too far fetched to say that Truman Capote, and "Answered Prayers," consciously or not, may just have inspired this blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      In that case, watch out, dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                      Heh! Heh!!!!!!!!!!  Heh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Videolaman said...

Next up on your Capote re-reading list: "Handcarved Coffins," which you can get all "meta" with by perusing during the commercial breaks of your procedural marathons ;)