Followers

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Guess Who Is Celebrating His 60th Birthday, Darlings????????????????????


                           None other than everyone's--at least on here--favorite and lovable reptile, Gojira!!!!!!!!!!
Starting Friday April 18 (which is actually Good Friday, girls!!!!!!!!) through Thursday the 24th--he is arriving at the Film Forum, in his original Japanese form!

                             To think he and I sprang onto the scene, back in 1954!  Forget that Raymond Burr crap, this is the original "Gojira," an artistic masterpiece, and the stuff of Grand Opera. When, in the film's first 15 to 20 minutes, Gojira makes his initial entrance over the top of the hill on Odo Island, it is as if a diva has stepped forward to sing the first great aria, of the evening.  And the tragic, underwater climax of the film is reminiscent of Wagner's "Ring Cycle."  When Gojira rises above the swirling water to give his last roar (I always cry!!!!) it is like Tosca singing her final aria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                             Much debate will be held in the months ahead, about whether little Baby Gojira should be brought to the screening.  You see, ten years ago, this film was presented for its 50th Anniversary. I went several times--but I will never forget my first viewing, with all these stay at home Mama's Boys in the audience, holding their plastic Gojira, Rodan, or Ghidrah dolls, arguing over who was better!  In the lobby, they were selling-- for $15--little baby Gojiras.  I bought one, and the rest is history. He is a treasured member of our household, and I don't know if I want him to go out. I would be heartbroken, if he was kidnapped!

                              I have to tell this to the current Film Forum programmer there, when I go!  And the timing could not be better--because the next month, which is May, Gojira comes out with his brand new 2014 movie, where he visits San Francisco.  I can't wait to see him dancing, with the boys, among the Castro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                And you know who will be his Guest Of Honor at both screenings?????????  None other than Sister Camille D'Arienzo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  Hope to see you all at Film Forum, in April, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: