Followers

Friday, November 14, 2014

This Could Be The Best, Darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                 It is too early, girls, for me to declare outright what is the Book Of The Year, but let me tell you, right now, that "Lovers At The Chameleon Club, Paris 1932" by Francine Prose could very well prove to be the Book Of The Year.  Stay tuned for the final decision!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  When this first appeared on the scene, I thought it was a work of non-fiction, so I really was not interested,  But, as word of mouth spread, not only did I grasp it was a novel, but it might be worth reading, especially as I had never read any of Prose's work.

                                      Even when I picked it up, finally, to read it, my expectations were not exactly soaring.  But then soaring expectations can often be counterproductive, as witness Donna Tartt and "The Goldfinch," last year!

                                       So, I began, reading, and oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                       Sweep yourselves away, girls, to the romantic decadence of 1930s Paris, where sexuality is out in the open, especially at certain places, as Miss Prose creates an atmosphere so intense you can smell the smoke, cheap booze, urine, that emanate from within the club. I mean, with this, who the hell needs "Fifty Shades Of Grey????????????"  My favorite thing was her recreation of the pastiche musical numbers done there; they are so detailed I could see, in my mind, the colors and staging.  I could almost hear the songs.

                                         But not all is gaiety.  Written in an epistolary style from several texts by characters who were all there, during the same period of time, and one biographer, who turns out, allegedly, to be a character's niece, a picture is also given of when Paris turned dark as the Germans infiltrated it, and the Holocaust got underway.  And how one individual, Lou Villars, was transformed from a loyal French citizen into a Nazi monster of torture.

                                        The writing is swift and breathtaking; this is a real page turner, with plenty of substance to back it up!  You have simply got to read it, lambs!  It is the best thing I have read all year, but not till The New York Times publishes their Ten Best For 2014, will I rule on this book.  I still have several more to get to.

                                           But "Lovers At The Chameleon Club, Paris, 1932" is a strong contender.  Perfect reading in between sips of wine, and viewings of "Gigi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                           

No comments: