Followers

Monday, July 11, 2016

"Parents, Make Up Your Minds, Do You Want Children??????????????"


                        When I heard ENCORES Off-Center would be doing "Runaways," I had several reactions. Part of me wanted to audition, just to sing that score, even though I am one of those who saw the Original production, back in 1978.  The second was nervousness; could a different generation perform this piece, would it hold up, or would it fall apart?  But once I heard that original cast member Trini Alvarado's daughter was in the production, I said I HAD to see this.  And so my beloved--who had never seen it, but is fond of the Original Cast CD, which we listen to a lot, and I had memorized ever since it was on vinyl--and I went.  We were glad we did.

                          The setting is a place for the discarded. Into this arena come discarded youth, done in by their parents or society.  A plaintive young voice explains how she just ran away, another chimes in how they had no choice; they HAD to go.  Suddenly, hordes of kids begin taking the stage, running furiously in place, and before one knows it, the audience is immersed in Elizabeth Swados' words and visions, intoned by the cast, as they go into the show's opening mantra, "Where Do People Go?"

                            And I went wild.  I daresay I was not the only one.

                             I wondered if the show would be trimmed. Because it is filled with so many Seventies references that might not be relevant. Or may have other meanings today, as when the name "O.J. Simpson" was mentioned, there was cynical laughter among the crowd.

                              The audience, I imagine, consisted of those such as I who had seen it originally, those coming to it for the first time, and the friends and classmates of the cast members.  Done for the first time without an Intermission, and at a breakneck pace, this "Runaways" was pretty much intact. The only noticeable song missing was "Minnesota Strip," though its  refrain, "Stay away, Stay away" was used.

                               I had been afraid songs like "Find Me A Hero," "The Undiscovered Son," and "The Basketball Song" might have been cut. But there they were, with all the familiar favorites.  And, of course, there were some standouts.

                                 The girl who performed "Song Of A Child Prostitute" was as haunting and shocking, tinged with innocence, as when Diane Lane did it, back in 1978.  I swear, the girl who sang "Lullaby From Baby To Baby," was channeling Trini, with a voice both innocent and sultry--just like she, back in '78.

                                    Whoever did "Sometime" and "To The Dead Of Family Wars" deserves special kudos for tremendously effective renderings of two very difficult pieces.

                                       The curtain call was extremely moving. After the bows were taken, sheets of paper appeared among the cast, who held each one up to spell, "Thank you, Liz!"  I cried real tears!!!!!!!!

                                       My only caveat was with one of my favorites, "No Lullabies For Luis."  Maybe the girl singer needed more amping on the mike, because, while she sang it well, it did not have the compelling urgency or vocal strength or authority of its originator, Josie De Guzman.  Josie will always own the number.

                                         I hated when the show ended. I wanted it to go on.  I would like to see it move somewhere, so this most talented ensemble--the best all Summer--can hone their craft.   Still, I am glad I followed my impulse in seeing "Runaways."  I have no regrets, but I feel sorry for those who did not get to see it!

                                           Will another 38 years have to pass before it is noticed again?????

                               

No comments: