Followers

Thursday, July 7, 2016

A Sad Farewell To The Last, Original Star Of "Follies!!!!!!!!"



                                It was announced, this morning, that John McMartin, the original Ben Stone in "Follies," back in 1971, has died.  He was 86, and the cause was cancer.  The theater community is at a loss, and I hope lights are dimmed for him.

                                 His rendition of "The Road You Didn't Take" in the Sondheim musical, took my breath away. The older I got, the more I relate to it. Which reflects back on what "Follies" is all about.

                                  I also saw him in the musical, "High Society."  He also originated the male lead in "Sweet Charity," and he was on just about every TV show during the past several decades.  I know he has popped up on "Law And Order" more than I can count.

                                    One thing more. No wonder I am so attuned to musical theater. McMartin, Dorothy Collins, and I all have/had the same birthday--November 18.

                                      No wonder "Follies" is one of my favorite shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                       Here is McMartin doing Ben's signature song, "The Road You Didn't Take,"
in the 1971 original, and forty years later, at the Sondheim Birthday Celebration!  Both are equally brilliant!

                                           Rest In Peace, John!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: