Followers

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

As Far As I Am Considered, Girls, This Is The Great American Epic Novel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                         
                                         Even after five readings, I am convinced that this novel earns the above designation.  I know many would cite Steinbeck's other epic work, "The Grapes Of Wrath."  It is wonderful, but is more evocative of a time and place in history; one could say the same about "East Of Eden," but its scope and themes are more sweeping and universal.

                                          Sixty years later, the book is still something of a sensation. With four suicides, even more deaths, theft, prostitution, sexual perversion, and the most evil woman in American literature, even today it still has the ability to shock.  Imagine this--on September 18, I am going to attend a Book Group discussion of this, by a group of congregants at the Catholic church in my neighborhood--St Andrews!!!!!!  What will die hard Catholics, no matter what generation, have to say about such a book, and how did it come to be selected?  I will give you a full report, girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                           On a fifth reading, Catherine/Kate, who epitomizes Woman As Satan, is, as has been noted by some, the most static character in the book  That she is, but without her, the novel would lose all of its driving force. .  This time, I found it interesting--with no redeeming qualities--she is what today would be called a sociopath--this woman, towards the end of the novel, starts going to church (she doesn't seem inclined on making amends!!!!!) and when she elects her death, by suicide, before doing so, she writes out a document, wherein she wills everything to her son, Aron Trask, whom she abandoned, with his twin brother, Cal, upon birth.

                                               Girls, if you know "East Of Eden" only from the James Dean movie, you are in for a surprise.  That film covered only the last third of the book; what comes before, in fact, helps one to understand what the movie never explains, not to mention it is compelling reading. And this time around I took pleasure from characters I usually took for granted--Chinese servant Lee, Abra Bacon, Sam Hamilton, his daughter Dessie, and Sam's wife, Liza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                 The novel is chock full of Biblical allegory from the first page on; I am certain this will figure in the Catholic book group discussion.  And these allegories transcend the period the story takes place--from about Civil War to World War I-- to seem as relevant today, as when it first appeared.

                                                  But that Catherine/Kate!!!!!!!!!  "East Of Eden" must be beloved by misogynists!!!!!!!  Steinbeck, at the time he was writing it, was going through a rather acrimonious divorce. No doubt he had planned to make the Eve figure evil, but perhaps this experience colored his judgment, causing him to really up the ante!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                     I have no doubt I will read it again down the road.  And each time, I am convinced it is the Great American Epic Novel!!!!!!!!!  Let others dispute me, but the Raving Queen has spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                                        Off with their heads--but not yours, darlings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

HarlowFan said...

Did you ever see the mini series of this from the early 80's? Jane Seymour was absolutely stunning as Kate.

The Raving Queen said...

I have, and you are right; she was the real thing! The mini series pretty much covered the entire book, which I appreciated. I think it was after first viewing this, in 1981, that I first read the novel. Jane went on to do many more things, but I don't think she ever topped this. And she won an Emmy!

And I believe this is what put her on the map!

HarlowFan said...

It took me many viewings to realize it, but in the climactic scene in the film in the midst of the screaming and Herrmann strings, you can hear "mother" yell "I'm Norma Bates". It really is creepy. When you watch the film again, listen for it.