Followers

Friday, August 3, 2012

Girls, "Sight And Sound" Seems More Like "Blind And Deaf"!!!!!!!!



         At my advanced age, darlings, lists and comparisons become more irrelevant as time goes on.
You all know on here that "The Wizard Of Oz" is my favorite movie, but that I am also fond of "Gone With The Wind" and "The Song Of Bernadette."  Not to mention Robert Altman's "Nashville," or David Lynch's "Blue Velvet."

        Each of these films couldn't be more different from the other.  The first three, at least, in common with one another, were made during the so-called "Golden Age Of Hollywood."   While the other two were the products of latter day maverick directors of the late Twentieth Century.

         But can they be compared to, or with, one another????  Of course not!!!!  Which is why I was stunned when I heard the news this week that "Sight And Sound" Magazine, which insists on naming the Greatest Films Of All Time, demoted "Citizen Kane" from the Top Spot, and, in its place, singled out....Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo?????????????"

           What????????????????????????????????????????????????

           Now, don't get me wrong, darlings.  "Vertigo" is a great movie (I own it on DVD!!!!) and one of my favorite Hitchcock movies.  In fact, if I had to make a list of my Top Ten Hitchcock Films, it would surely be in there. (Though "Psycho" would be Number One!!!!!)   But the Greatest Film Of All Time?????  You have got to be kidding!!!!!!!

            Was it ground breaking????? Not really!!!!!  It is a story of obsession....and that had been explored back in the 40's, with another classic film, entitled "Laura."  When "Citizen Kane" appeared, nothing like it had been done.  Its relevance to its day (the Hearst life and scandals), its use of media techniques clearly ahead of its time, made it SO noticeable its greatness could not be denied.  It is no surprise that since its release it has almost unanimously topped All Time lists.  And when it came to American films alone, it was nearly indisputable!!!!!

             Great as "Vertigo" is, it cannot be thought of in this  light, like other films, such as say, Eisenstein's "Potemkin," or "Alexander Nevsky."  How about the 1933 "King Kong?"  That was groundbreaking in so
many ways, and rates a place on American film lists.

              But "Vertigo"????????   Even Hitchcock fans argue about which is the greatest, or at least their favorite, among his works.  Even Hitch himself had his own favorite--and it was NOT "Vertigo."  It was "Shadow Of A Doubt," which, in the figure of Joseph Cotten as Uncle Charlie, introduced onto the fabric of the American landscape a starling and disturbing figure....the Serial Killer!!!!  You better believe it, darlings!!!!!!!!!!   Seventy years before "Investigation Discovery" and "Evil, I," Alfred Hitchcock was exploring this terrain.

             And what of the terrain explored by Welles in "Citizen Kane"???????   Well, thirty four years later, in 1975, Robert Altman, using his own techniques, made his own Welles-ian vision of America (albeit an Altmanesque vision) with "Nashville."  Which I said, at its time of release, and still stand by today, was the "Citizen Kane" of my generation.  And there could not have been "Nashville," if not for "Citizen Kane."

              What are they thinking, over at "Sight And Sound?????"  Have they gone brain dead??????  Or are they simply more easily impressed by "Vertigo's" colorful, flashy visuals, than the understated, Gothic imagery, in "Citizen Kane????????"  I think it is this, and ignorance.  Those making this selection have no idea today who William Randolph Hearst or Marion Davies were.  So it is easier to select a film that is all flash and emotion, rather than one that actually requires some thought and frames of cultural reference!!!!!!

              Once again, it is the dumbing down of America, darlings!!!!!!!!  Not that Hitchcock is dumb by any means--no way!!!!!!!!!  But I think even he would react with surprise at this year's selection.  I wonder what his still surviving daughter, Pat, would think?????????????

              If there has to be a list, darlings, "Citizen Kane" should clearly top "Vertigo!!!!"

              But, then, as Norman Bates said, "We all go a little mad, sometimes!"
         

       

2 comments:

HarlowFan said...

You know, I've never met one person in my entire life who said that Citizen Kane was their favorite film. I understand all the new ground that it broke, and why it's an important film. But I've never cared about Charles Foster Kane or what becomes of him. I've seen Kane maybe 5 times in my life. Now I'm not saying Vertigo is the greatest ever made. I agree with you about Oz and GWTW. I've just always found it interesting that polls always put Kane at number one, when no film buff I know ever claimed to really love it. But what do I know? I've seen Kane 5 times and Hush...Hush,Sweet Charlotte around a HUNDRED and five times!

The Raving Queen said...

As Bette Davis might have said,"Honey child, you do have a point!" When I first saw 'Kane' in a college film class, my initial reaction was, "What was all the fuss about?" But as age and experience matured me, (and part of that expereince was the Patty Hearst kidnapping, which I lived thorugh, during that time) along with reading Pauline Kael's "Raising Cane," I have come to hold it in high esteen.

Is it a favorite? No. There are favorite things in it--the opening and closing sequences, the visuals, the actors (Welles' Kane is the least interesting), most especially Dorothy Comingore, who I cannot understand why she never became a major star, as her performance is the one that blows you away. The whole opera seuqence is the BEST int the film.
But when I go to it, it is for the visuals--I usually try to see it onscreen, like at the Film Forum. But it is not a film that is in my bloodstrea or personality like GWTW, 'OZ' or 'Bernadette.'
But who knows? The next time Sight and Sound does this, the top choice might be--horrors!--"Gidgeet Goes Hawaiian!" I fear we are coming to that!